Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone fitted 3- or 4-point harnesses ? ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone fitted 3- or 4-point harnesses ? ...

If so, do you have any pictures showing the rear mountings ?

I'm planning on installing some harnesses in my 356C & would like to see other people's rear mounts - particularly relating to height/spacing, etc.

For reference I have Speedster seats fitted.

These are the only pictures I have of a similar set up:

The second picture (which is the ex-Eddy Meert 356C GT formerly owned by John Ruston) looks a neater installation - presumably the crossbar is bolted through the inner wing into a spreader plate.

Andy,
    I'd definitely go with option two for mounting. The engine firewall is not exactly a great mounting spot due to it's thickness, width and lack of other
    support for your belts. If you really want it strong. mount between the two existing 3rd point seat belt mounts and then to the firewall via extensions in two
    spots. Hope the guy in setup # 1 did some heavy reinforcement behind that firewall.
    Cheers,
    Joel

Comment

I agree 100% with Joel that has to be about the worst place to anchor the shoulder restraint that I have seen. There would have to be a run of heavy gauge angle iron sandwiched in the engine compartment for that sheet metal wall to have any chance of standing up to the tremendous split-second force generated during an impact. The second version is much better as its anchored into the upper shock mount. Its at least an actual heavy metal structure rather than just flat sheet steel. Here's a mock up of what I'm doing with my car:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	carrera026A.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	59640
      I don't have belts yet so this tie-down represents what will eventually be. I incorporated it into the roll-bar we fabricated a few years ago.

Name:	carrera025A.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	59641
      I know the anchor point should be higher to reduce the spinal compression on impact but this where I needed it. Hope this helps Andy.
      Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

Justin,
        I have seen a setup similar to your mockup, but with an additional cross bar above shoulder height to solve the compression issue. They also added a padded headrest to the cross bar for obvious reasons. The end product did look a little busy compared to yours. Just an FYI if you haven't thought of.

Tom
        Registry Number: Who Cares??

Comment

Thanks for the comments so far (& the pictures Justin) - keep them coming.

Comment

Here is a diagram from Simpson's site. This is the way I have installed shoulder harnesses in race cars; slightly below shoulder level.

Name:	image_2015-04-09.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	59659
            Ashley Page

Comment

Working...
            X