Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does one obtain a copy of the Kardex??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does one obtain a copy of the Kardex??

Hello to all!
    I thought i'd make my first post a constructive one .....

Anyway, How can a chap get a copy of the Kardex for his car rather than just relying on the COA?

Hello Simon,
    Welcome and thanks for posting!
    Once upon a time in the '70's and I think well into the 80's an owner could get their hands on a copy of the original Kardex. Due to potential privacy issues and the like the factory no longer extends this courtesy to the general public. If you have any questions concerning how your car originally came Steve Heinrichs will most likely be able to provide the answer. Welcome once again!
    Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Yes, and when I got mine in '80, they were free, as well.

By the mid-'80s tho, there were two important dynamics as work; the building price bubble and Porsche's desire to develop a more up-scale Corporate persona.

All things considered, I personally believe that privacy issues had little to do with the change.

It's a shame in any case; the Xeroxes were not pretty, but were decidedly more interesting/useful than the re-transcribed (and pricey) COAs.
      ----------
      Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo

Comment

Many thanks for your kind replies!!

Comment

Simon,

As Mr. Szabo noted, things have changed. Kardexes are quite difficult to obtain at this time. That said, a variety of people have some. If you could share your chassis number with us...you could get lucky.

Maybe if you go to Stuttgart to the Archive...maybe they will let you have a copy. But, maybe not. Not easy.

Steve Heinrichs
          www.biglakemedia.com

Comment

It is a hard pill to swallow for those of us who became used to writing a nice note to Porsche AG and mailing it with a proof of ownership requesting a copy of the Kardex for our 356s.

Pre-Internet, we just waited until an envelope arrived which contained not just a copy of the original warranty card (AKA "Kardex") but a polite letter signed by two Factory representatives thanking us for our support of the brand. Free.

I called Porsche Cars North America just today, using "option 5" as instructed by their website, to order a Certificate for a client's car so I can plan it's restoration with him. After a lengthy wait, I was told that they no longer offer a phone order service and that I must FAX a copy, use a credit card, pay $110 of $100 if I use my PCA membership discount, etc.

There is a demand, so they are selling their supply of obsolete warranty information....one old Porsche at a time. At least P-AG kept that info and the rumor is that those who transcribe the original info now get it more often correct than in the past.

It's also a chance to send glitzy advertising with a slick presentation of their transcription and get paid for that AND the cost of an employee to do the digging of the information on their computer, and I can't blame them for the latter.

Those of us who got the real-deal for free remember a time when Porsche was still building their brand.....now that it's been built, there's no need to do anything for free....whether enthusiasts like it or not.

-Bruce-the-Iconoclast

Comment

Simon - If you attend a major classic car event where Porsche has a booth set up they have the Kardex's scanned on a computer. Porsche representatives were at the Inaugural Werks Reunion in Monterey, CA and I was able to see a Kardex there. The representative will hold a piece of paper up to cover the oringinal owner's name, but everything else is able to be viewed. You must write everything down though, you cannot take a pic of the computer screen.
              trevorcgates@gmail.com
              Engine # P66909... are you out there
              Fun 356 events in SoCal = http://356club.org/

Comment

Mr. Heinrichs, would it be in order for me to email you via your website please?
                Thank You!!!

Comment

Simon,

Of course. Or: RStephen356@aol.com

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Harding" post=23870
                    I was also told the original owners name, so the gesture of holding paper over the name doesn't concern me!!!
                    Ok, side bar if I may... when I was in line to see the Kardex, the woman in front of me told the Porsche representative, "you don't have to cover the original owner info, I know who it is", and she gave the name. The representative looked up with a smirk... The woman then said "The original owner was my uncle, we also have the same last name", she then gave the address that was listed on the Kardex - confirmed by another smirk.

Original owner info remained covered the entire time.
                    trevorcgates@gmail.com

Comment

For those who have never seen an original Kardex, here is an example, in this case, for a Convertible D:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kardexfor86197.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	53795

Good luck translating from the Swabish in the special options! The letter following the paint code number was the interior color.

-Bruce

Comment

Thanks for posting!

Comment

So, I eventually managed to get a copy of the

Which is great!, However my gcse german didn't extend to mechanical abbreviations.
                          I was therefore wondering, would any of the group be able to translate the kardex?
                          What does it all mean?????

Comment

Comment

http://derwhites356literature.com/KardexvCertificateofAuthenticity.html
                              trevorcgates@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X