Emergency brake problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency brake problem

In restoring my Speedster, I find the emergency brake handle is frozen.
    I cannot turn it or move it in or out. I have tried penetrating oil, phosphoric acid and heated the housing. NO movement.
    I don't know it the rod is frozen into the housing or the "washer" gimmick that locks the brake is jammed. I can make another rod that attaches to the cable and handle is I can get the old one out.
    Anyone know how to get it apart without totally destroying the housing? Also I will need a new "washer" set. Are these available anywhere?
    Thanks all, E
    356 4 Ever

Hey Gene, Here's a quick description on what exactly is in there comprising the mechanism and how it works as I understand it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Achassis2511.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	52211
    This is all there is to it, two washers and a spring.

Name:	Achassis2512.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	52212
    Forward thin washer has a tab or an ear which is designed to simply limited the rotation of the shaft/handle. Its stamped with an "L" on one side and an "R" for either a LHD or RHD application. The spring just holds the two washers in the correct tensioned position. The big thick bent washer is the actual locking mechanism and works by the same principle as the car's jack.

Name:	Achassis2513.JPG
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	52213
    The Positive side of the "V" profile in this big washer seats against this internal washer mounted in the back of the housing. You'll notice it is set in there at a slight angle so the washer when seated neutrally is always at an engaged "binding" angle.

Name:	Achassis2515.JPG
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	52214
    So at that slight angled approach the shaft is free to move outward to engage the brake but will bind-up if tried to move back in.

Name:	Achassis2516.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	52215
    With this in mind you can take a screw driver and try to "level" the washer with the rod by prying the top out just a bit to release the "bind".

Name:	Achassis2517.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	52216
    The above photo shows the orientation of the locking washer in its neutral outward movement only "locking" position. The spine of the bend runs vertical.

Name:	Achassis2518.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	52217
    This is the washer now oriented in its free unlocked position; as if you'd turned the handle to disengage. The spine of the bend is almost horizontal. As the spine of the bend runs around the set angled housing back stop washer it pushes its orientation level with the rod releasing the "bind". Hope this made sense. Anyway hope this helps you or anyone else facing the same problem. BTW: Welcome and thanks for joining us here!
    Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

This stuff works pretty well:
      http://www.evapo-rust.com/
      Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

Great explanation Justin!

Comment

Working...
        X