Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To Replace the Brake Line in the Tunnel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Replace the Brake Line in the Tunnel?

Replacing the master cylinder and the fittings are giving me trouble. I have heated them with propane and sprayed with CRC Freeze-Off. The fittings are turning in the master but the tubes are still frozen in the fittings. Managed to snap the line to the right front that I thought was starting to turn.
    Am afraid that the rear line is going to break also. How hard is it to replace the rear line in the tunnel?
    Thanks

Hi David,
    Thanks for joining us and Welcome! Sorry to hear your having such a rough go of it but that's the world of old cars unfortunately. What I gather from your brief description is that you're not getting it hot enough to do any good; a propane torch is not going to cut it. You'll need to buy or borrow an Oxygen/Acetylene. torch to beat it. On something as corroded and fused as a brake line fitting can become requires heat temps that turn the part glowing orange to red. Only by adding oxygen will you be able to achieve that. It may also take as many as 3-4 cycles of heat before it eventually complies. WD40/penetrating oil and gentle wiggling with a wrench between tries. I hope this helps. Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Happy to report that your advice worked like a maiden's dream. Got the line free after the first heating and the sigh of relief was quite audible.
      Thank you sir!

Comment

That's great news, Best of luck with the rest of the job!
        Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
        X