rear brake cyl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear brake cyl

at one time I had a name and number for some one that had wheel cyl. with s.s. sleeves, he sold them exchange. I believe he frequented the other site. any one know were i could get some rears I already have the fronts.
    thanks Jay D.

I have been using Apple Hydraulics in NY for decades. They reline cyls with brass/bronze, which gives more lubricity than SS , for decades. B/B also is not prone to corrosion as much as some S/S. Fast turn around and good price. Installed hundreds of them. Two or three of them leaked between the sleeve and the cyl, a failure rate of less than 1%. They leaked on installation, before driving, and were repaired free of charged. On all brake work we hold the pedal down with significant force for at least 5 minutes to be sure that all the fitting are secure. I'm sure other rebuilders have some come- backs as well. Over all this time, I have not had to replace a single rubber cup due to leakage,and pistons have not seized, even on cars in storage for years. I hope this helps.
    Link to: applehydraulics.com

Added: Apple will just sleeve, and leave assembly to you. AFIK, they will supply cups on request.
    Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

I had wheel cylinders done years ago by White Post with brass sleeves. Held up well for years. But I think now they will not just do the cylinder, but only rebuild the complete assembly. Bill Brown, in Lincoln, Nebraska is the guy who puts in the SS sleeves. Actually he has a shop do it. Was not aware of the SS issues. Bill advertises on thesamba.

Phil Planck

Comment

My long-time machinist was diagnosed with Alz`s 1 1/2 years ago, and therefore I`m out of the wheel cylinder business. We did some 1700 cylinders with 7 leakers to my knowledge. I had guys send me back my sleeved cylinders claiming corrosion. After doing autopsies on them, it was always rusty crud from their rotten,rusty hard lines that was causing the problems of stuck pistons, etc...........bleed your system every couple years!

Comment

Thanks i'll call Apple Hyd. tomorrow
          Jay D.

Comment

Hi Bill
            Sorry to hear about your machinist. Nasty disease. Just as I finally pull the rear backing plates off I find out you are out of business on the cylinders. Time marches on.
            Phil Planck

Comment

Sorry Phil! I kept one set for myself. I`m gonna be building a 60mm set of brakes and will be using them. I`ve got about 50 lbs of old wheel cylinders and parts left.....if anyone is interested in getting into it.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1426.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	45598

Comment

Sorry to hear about your friend Bill. He did a nice job on those GT wheel cylinders I had sent you a few years back.
                Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                X