Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What size are stock wheel Studs for a 56?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size are stock wheel Studs for a 56?

Is it 35mm or 40mm or 45mm wheel studs that are stock for a 56? I have about 55mm on mine and they need replacing. Good source for buying them? Also.....what are the correct nuts for the studs?
    Thanks

Not near my car or any wheel studs so not sure what the original length is. If you use a wheel like the Fuchs or 944 turbo aluminum spare wheel on a disc brake car then you will need 48mm on the front. They will also work on the rear but 46mm would be the more perfect fit. (I used 48mm on the front and rear and made 2mm wheel spacers for the rear).

I think those lengths are correct but will confirm and report back. Monday I will check on the lengths I have in stock.

They are available from most of the 356 parts vendors and also my company sells them.

I have lug nuts too. My wheel studs are 4340 heat treated,Teflon coated and hold up extremely well. The nuts are 1144 steel and are manganese phosphated.

I am not sure about stud length on the drum brake cars.

Wheel stud length is measured from under the head to the end on the thread.
    Ashley Page

Comment

Thanks Ashley! Do you offer the new studs with a "bull-nose" tip?

Paul, I think I might have an original drum brake stud rolling around loose. I'll get you an overall measurement as Ashley describes.
      Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

Thanks guys. Here's what's on there now and I just want normal studs for stock wheels.

Comment

Paul, I could not locate my box of wheel studs but here is a detailed photo of how long an original shank is on an early A drum.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Achassis1582.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	44691

Name:	Achassis1583.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	44692
          Same standard lug nut was used throughout 356 production on up through the 911 series.
          Hope this helped. Justin
          Justin Rio

Comment

A number of years ago, a young man bought a '59 coupe from one of my customers that had extra long studs installed in the brake drums. A few months later he came by the shop and told me how long and hard he had worked to trim down all 20 stud to "normal" length and dressing the threads so the lug nuts would start easily. I told him that I had a large bucket that was filled with stock length studs and would have been happy to trade the longer ones for the short ones. At that time, slightly wider than stock wheels had been fitted and he asked what he could do to keep the tires/wheels from rubbing when turning the steering to extreme angles. I told him that the solution was to fit longer studs and install spacers underneath the rims to widen the track. The look on his face was priceless.
            Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

Great story Jack. Don't worry, I won't be cutting any studs down!! Looks like stock would be 35mm. Having said that, the Stoddard standard stud 90134167101 looks like it's 40mm.

Comment

Name:	P1100389.JPG
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	44728

Name:	P1100379.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	44729

Name:	P1100375.JPG
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	44730
                The ones we make have the bull nose. I have two lengths - 48mm and 50mm but they can be made is any length - min quantity 20 which is one car set. The bull nose is not counted in the length. The length of a wheel stud is measured from under the head to the end of the thread.

For 20 years we have furnished a lot of the wheel studs and nuts used in racing. These are made from the same material using the same machinery and tolerances as the racing studs used in NASCAR, IMSA, World Challenge, etc. As such and unfortunately, they cost the same as the racing parts. That said, they are not that much more than some I have seen from other vendors offering special lengths.

Studs - any length $12.50 each (4340 steel, heat treated and coated)
                Nuts - $3.88 each (machined from 1144 steel, 19mm hex, heat treated and coated)

They interchange with the original Porsche parts.

Ones in the pictures are 48mm.
                Ashley Page

Comment

Paul, (it's nice when you use your name) what wheels/tires will you be fitting?
                  Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

Beautiful stuff Ashley! Once I figure out exactly the lengths I need I'll be getting with you on a set. Thanks for posting up your offerings!
                    Justin
                    Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                    X