Foot boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foot boards

Can someone tell me if T-1's (#58032) had one piece foot boards or two piece? It has some home made two piece ones that fit terrible.
    Thank You, Gordon

Hey Gordon,

I am 99.999% sure they are two pieces but let me check to make sure... Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Some early T1 cars had one piece footboards. Pita to r+r.
      Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

Hey Jack, Welcome! It was so nice to see that you had finally decided to accept the invitation! So your saying super early 1956 356AT1 had one piece toe-boards? Gordon, I check what was with my late production 1956 coupe #57976 and they are two piece. Maybe Jack might have an idea as to the cut-off point? Justin

Welcome once again Jack!
        Justin Rio

Comment

Thanx 4 the welcome . Over the years, Kerry and I have had some early T1 cars at the shop with what appeared to be original one piece toe boards. IIRC, they were fitted with just a single bolt to hold them in place, that being the throttle pedal stop bolt with associated jamb nut. I don't believe that there was a captive nut on the right hand side to accommodate a bolt to hold in a separate right hand board. Bill Pittman seems to be the ultimate authority on toe/floor boards.

Comment

Thanks Jack and Justin,
            My car is later than yours Justin And when Jack mentioned the throttle stop being part of the securing method on one piece boards, I am pretty sure mine are two piece boards.
            Thank you again,
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Image8.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	35291
            Gordon
            Here is a old picture of that area.

Comment

Interesting detail Jack, so the only securing bolt was the pedal stop bolt on a piece version toe board equipped T1 with no threaded hole on the right hand side...will keep that detail in mind. Thanks!

Gordon, is the hole to the right of your gas pedal stop bolt threaded?
              Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

Justin, No gas pedal stop. They were using the stretched out
                accelerator cable as a pedal stop.
                Yes the hole right of the gas pedal is threaded.
                Does anyone have a photo of the pedal stop. I have had no luck getting a picture of one on the net. Thanks, Gordon

Comment

Here's one:

Name:	QSRUS.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	35397

Comment

Thanks Jack! Just two more posts and the "captcha code" is done for good.

Gordon I may have an original one you can have. Let me check my bolt bucket...
                    Justin
                    Justin Rio

Comment

Gordon, Here is a detailed shot of and original with jamb nut. (10mm wrench size)

Name:	carrera1758.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	35487

Name:	carrera1760.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	35488
                      Justin Rio

Comment

Original hardware is longer and threaded all the way to the hex for adjustability.

Comment

Hey Jack,
                          I just learned about you-but I'm on the East Coast!
                          We are coming out to visit some friends in Poway next month so if it works maybe we can saunter up to visit your shop.
                          The car made the cover of Hemmings Sports and Exotic-Feb 2104 issue with a nice article by David LaChance the Editor.
                          He did the photo shoot last June here in Richmond.
                          I'll attach a couple of shots from the mag!
                          Dick Pitman
                          Chester, VA

Name:	1.Cover2-14HSERoadsterMe.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	35507
                          and a overhead shot that David did of the Roadster.
                          I saw the pics of all the Roadsters around your shop.
                          I thought I was looking at 88971!

Name:	2.OverheadRoadsterHSE.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	35508

Comment

Hey Dick,
                            Congratulations on that spread in Hemmings once again! Hope you enjoy your stay on the left coast. I can personally attest that Jack's place is a great shop to visit for any 356 nut! Hope you make it over that way...

Thanks Jack, this is one of those interesting discussions on the fine details of 356 authenticity. I'm sure many would roll their eyes and say who cares its just a bolt but if you're into the details like I am you want things to be right when they can be. I of course consider you an authority since you've been servicing these cars almost as long as I have been alive and as we both know there are no 100% absolutes when it comes to these cars. My thoughts on this particular detail come only from my own two 356AT1 cars and what they were equipped with. You on the other hand have seen hundreds from various years so I am quite sure that a lot of them were outfitted with the bolt you describe. With this in mind I decided to consult the "good book" IE the 1957 factory parts catalog. Here is what I found, at least for 1957...

Name:	3562619.JPG
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	35510
                            Part in question is item #20

Name:	3562618.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	35511
                            The illustration here does not depict an all thread shank.

Name:	3562622.JPG
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	35512
                            Item description for #20 is that its 45MM in length. This means the bolt that I picked out the other night is wrong and is too long.

Name:	3562623.JPG
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	35513
                            Here is the original in T1 coupe 57976. Its never been disturbed (until tonight) and has always been in this car. Its an original NSF bolt.

Name:	3562624.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	35514
                            After removal I was surprised to find its only 40mm and is actually shorter than what the catalog calls for. This gets back that variation problem again.

Name:	3562626.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	35515
                            Top one is the original once again. the middle was one of the closest I could find to what the catalog calls for and the bottom was from a '58 coupe. Which one is right; maybe all of the above??

Jack, the longer all thread version pedal stop bolt you describe, was it found on that transitional super early one piece T1 toe board which also doubled as the only anchor for this panel? If so, that version would be a logical choice.
                            Justin
                            Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                            X