No announcement yet.

America Roadster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legend? Will I have to change my user name . . .
    Apparently this doesn't apply to blogging as I have lost 2 messages so far - due to captcha code or timing, I guess.

Anyway, to try another reply to Nur964; for which Roadster did you want dimensions? There were three distinct body shapes of the aluminum cars, based on cockpit length, door and rear quarter shape, wheel opening shape, engine lid and number of grills. The earliest cars (10465, the 2nd) appeared to be hand hammered and welded together without the benefit of a buck. This would make them quicker and cheaper to build, but almost impossible to duplicate. 10465 used thinner aluminum, about .030" like steel cars, to make them lighter for competition, since these were Porsche's first purpose-built race cars (10465 scored the first over-all victory for the Porsche name in its first race). One of the last cars, 12362, seemed more solid and luxurious with thicker aluminum and full leather upholstery.

All Roadsters were built on a standard Cabriolet chassis, with the aluminum body riveted on. The steel bodied car is essentially a Cabriolet back to the windshield and hinge posts (a-pillars). This is all pretty well detailed, with a couple minor errors, in Steve Heinrich's book, "Speedster typ 540", There is even a picture of a (sepia?) print of a late Roadster on pg. 35. Unfortunately, its too small to read any of the dimensions.

In short, I don't have dimensions.

Hope that sheds a little light (and my post goes through this time).
    Ron

Comment

revron
      Thank you. I want to build a model of 1 \ 43. And for this I want to make the right drawing.
      Tell me please, there was only one car with such a windshield?
      Click image for larger version

Name:	1540551_10152245427160439_1572470346_o_2017-03-10.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	86036

Thanks
      https://www.instagram.com/nur964/
      Only air

Comment

Name:	yst29.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	86512

Comment

Sauter Porsche
          trevorcgates@gmail.com
          Engine # P66909... are you out there
          Fun 356 events in SoCal = http://356club.org/

Comment

Trevor,
            Still getting used to how this chat room works, so I sent you the following answer to your e-mail . . .

Trevor,
            Not sure if there is a question here as the links only take me to the pictures of two cars. The first car is America Roadster 12364, specially ordered by Von Neuman as a race-only car - now in the Factory Museum. The other car is the "odd-door" Sauter roadster, an immediate predecessor to the America Roadster (note the door handle just in front of the number 9). Ray Knight owned and restored the Sauter car over a couple of decades, before selling it to a gentlemen in China a few years ago.
            Ron

Comment

Hi Ron,

I was only commenting that the previous post of the car with #49 on the side was the Sauter Porsche, not an America Roadster. I too noticed the door handle location as well as the dual front glass (windshield).

Nice to have you participating here.
              trevorcgates@gmail.com
              Engine # P66909... are you out there
              Fun 356 events in SoCal = http://356club.org/

Comment

Good point since it sounds like NUR964 may be planning to make a model of the Von Neuman Roadster. Vic Skirmants made a whole series of 1/43 resin, models of various Porsche "vintage" race cars in the 1980's. He carefully scaled these from available photos, I am sure there was at least one America Roadster in the lot. They were quite accurate and reasonably priced. He has long since stopped selling them, and I'm sure they are expensive collector items now. Not sure if the molds are still extant - I will ask him when he returns from winter vacation.
                Ron

Comment

revron
                  Hey. Thank you. Yes, I want to build a Von Neumann car.

Name:	53MoffetField1242501582.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	86576

I know about Vic Skirmants. But I like to build everything from scratch. To finish the drawings in scale I need some parameters. Wheelbase. Total length and width.
                  Only air

Comment

Just noticed this one contains an A.R.
                    ~Vance

Name:	yst057.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	86671

Comment

Talked to Vic the other day. He never did an America Roadster. Precision Miniatures did one decades ago. It was OK, but not the best. May be the only, anyone know?
                      Ron

Comment

Interesting collection of cars. Photo had to be late 1954, at least, judging from the rocker deco on the "burgundy" Cab. As far as I know, these did not appear until the Speedster model in late 1954.
                        The silver AR appears to be 12361. The only other silver Roadster was 10455 (the first) and this is definitely a late car.
                        Ron

Comment

[quote="revron" post=38013]Talked to Vic the other day. He never did an America Roadster. Precision Miniatures did one decades ago. It was OK, but not the best. May be the only, anyone know?
                          Ron[/quote
                          They produced different brands. Ma models, looksmart and others.
                          Quite a bit of information on the American roadster
                          Only air

Comment

Sounds about right Ron as the Corvette is either a '54 or '55. Any info on this one?
                            ~Vance

Name:	ar702.jpg
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	86714

Comment

Vance,

How does one tell a '53 Corvette from a '54 or'55?
                              The AR you pictured has been attributed to Bob Doige, and the picture was taken at the starting line at the 1953 Merced, CA race. The car is most likely 12323 which was white with black leather interior. This would be one of the "middle" cars - it has the round, rather than flattened wheel openings, but the longer cockpit opening. It has the composite "big brakes," that is iron VW drums machined down to just hubs, with large, A-style, aluminum drums fitted over the hubs and held in place with the wheel studs. Other interesting features - the car appears to have been (partly) repainted since the jack spur is white; it has the open-slot trunk handle, and diamond-screen headlight grills, rather than the square-screen used up until 12317, a month earlier.
                              Ron

Comment

Great point Ron, I forgot about the intro of the Corvette in 1953.
                                ~Vance

Name:	ar221.jpg
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	86750

Comment

Working...
                                X