6 years with an 'A' 1964 - 1970

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 years with an 'A' 1964 - 1970

Looking through a few old Porsche club magazines and found this account by a member who sold his 356A in 1970.

Click image for larger version

Name:	resize356a1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	28267

Name:	resize356a2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	28268

Name:	resize356a3.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	28269

What is clear that this 356 then eleven years old at sale suffered the rust problems 43 years ago in exactly the same places we all know.

It was clear to me at the time these cars did not suit the UK climate but you just had to have one anyway.
    I wonder how many years his car continued to be used after he sold it. His repair cost were so low, the respray we consider now to be probably in thousands was so low.

Thought it might interest some of you.

Roy

Roy, Thanks for sharing this. A very interesting window into the past when these "undesirable" A cars (which it sounds were barely considered Porsche's at all) were yesterdays news and really not worth the trouble of repairing. Entry level cars. I remember a Porsche conversion as a kid in the late '70's my father was having with a guy. When the subject of the 356 came up he asked my father which model he had; A 356B or 356C car? My dad responded sort of sheepishly that the he just had a couple of 356A coupes but sure wished they were B or C's. I remember the guy responding empathetically to my fathers answer like, "yeah that is too bad". How things have changed! I really don't think anyone could have predicted present values... Anyway this post of yours reminded me of that day. Thanks again! Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

----------
      Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo

Comment

Exactly right SJ a 356AT1 can be converted mechanically into a '65 SC with an all bolt-on conversion. The only "bolt-on" shortfall would be at the shift-tower other than that its very straight forward as you stated. I agree that is what makes a T1 cool; it retains trim and styling cues from the pre-a's but the chassis is modern enough to accept all the final evolution drivetrain components. I maybe biased a little though..
        Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
        X