No announcement yet.

What did you do with/to your 356 today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did you do with/to your 356 today?

I finally took off the hideous nerf bars & put on my back bumper. When I pulled the bumper apart & stripped it I found out it had been spliced from two halves & the deco strip is cut into three pcs. So a quicky paint job & ready to install. Not so fast. When the body & paint had been done the bumper slots had been filled except just enough for the nerf bar slots so I had to cut the body for the bumper brackets. I'll order a new deco strip but for now I like it.

Before
    Click image for larger version

Name:	0519021333.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	26735

Name:	0915021551.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	26736

After

Name:	0921031453.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	26737

Name:	0921031450.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	26738
    Mic
    1959A coupe

Good thread topic Mic, Thanks for getting it started! The bumpers look best exactly how your setting them up; Clean, no over rider tubes or bumperets. Nice work! Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Mic,

I agree with Justin, you have transformed the back of your car I bet you are delighted. I just spent a few hours cleaning my original back bumper aluminium trim and polishing it till it shone. You can do that with metal polish on the 54 year old parts but I guess? the repro ones are anodized in some way so you can't polish them?

Good work Mic,

Roy

Comment

HUGE improvement! I know I say this every time I see your car...that color...YUM!
        Jack Stenner
        ---------------
        1953 Porsche 356 Coupe 1500N
        1959 VW SO-23 Camper

Comment

Coincidently I'm fitting the bumpers to my car with trim before final paint. I'm trying to scrounge together the original hardware now. I've pre-fitted everything else but almost forgot to double check these. Justin

Name:	carrera1396.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	26889
          Justin Rio

Comment

Just to clarify, the 356 rear bumper brackets come off the car & step down to the bumper. The homemade nerf bars have a straight plate that mounts where the bumper bracket did. So the hole in the body was straight out from the bracket mtg. point, similar to the front bumper. When I went to put the bumper on the bottom of the bracket hit the bottom of the body hole. So I cut straight down to make the hole lower. I'm assuming now the hole I have is to big/high at the top end.
            Mic
            1959A coupe

Comment

Mic,

I don't think you have a problem with the bumper support iron touching the bottom of the rectangular exit slot in the body. I just looked at mine. I have never removed the bumper irons. The slots in the body are about 66mm high, the bumper irons on both sides ( 28mm high ) are about 3mm away from touching the bottom of the body slot.
              so the gap from the top of the bumper iron to the top of the slot 35mm. In other words on my car the irons are not in the middle of the cut out slot.

I didn't have a photo of that area could take one if you need it.

Roy

Comment

Working...
              X