Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henk Vasmel
    replied
    I was convinced it was a DDR license plate, so when I found it under the German Democratic Republic, I didn't search any further. However, now I also looked at the West-German entries, and there it is listed too. From 1948 they changed to black plates with white characters, with the exception of KB which remained white with black characters. So, yes, it can be later, and yes it can be West-Berlin. I now suppose that until 1947 Berlin was commonly ruled by all the allies, and then East and West separated.

Leave a comment:

• revron
    replied
    Henk,
    Thanks for the info. Considering the political situation the authorities probably would not let someone run around with the wrong "papers," even a license plate for nostalgia. Don't have my history book handy, but was the "Deutche Democratic Republic, 1945-1947" only during those years? "Kommandantura Berlin" would be the commander's office who may have had special privileges, like being paid enough to afford a new Porsche. Wonder who the three guys in the photo are, since none of them look like the commander, although the guy with his foot on the plate looks like a wanna-be. Maybe they just put the plate on for the photo, knowing what it meant. And I guess the KB was before Berlin was designated east & west? Perhaps just an interesting academic question.
    Ron

Leave a comment:

• Henk Vasmel
    replied
    The info comes from the book I quoted. That means the license plate has been issued in 1947 at last, if the book is correct. After that it may have been used on different cars (don't know the rules for that for this issue). It also doesn't mention when those plates where withdrawn, i.e. replaced by a later series. Still, the fact that a Porsche is driving around on DDR plates makes me curious.

Leave a comment:

• revron
    replied
    The car is 1950 or very early 1951. How do you date the license plate?
    Ron

Leave a comment:

• Henk Vasmel
    replied
    Quite a remarkable license plate. According to "Registration Plates Of The World" this plate belongs to the German Democratic Republic, 1945-1947. That would be to early for such a car. KB means "Kommandantura Berlin" (West Berlin).
    Somebody needs to explain to me how this all fits in with the political situation in Berlin, just after the war.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	yst013.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	92027

Leave a comment:

replied

Name:	yst012.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	91962

Leave a comment:

replied

Name:	yst590.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	91852

Leave a comment:

replied

Name:	yst09.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	91732

Name:	yst069.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	91733

Leave a comment:

• JR
    replied
    Roy,
    As we are prone to say!
    Dick

Name:	ASmilinFace.gif
Views:	87
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	91644

Leave a comment:

• roy mawbey
    replied
    Dick,

Take it from me Dick, you are still a kid now.

Roy

Leave a comment:

• JR
    replied
    Just loved airplanes Vance.
    I'm off this AM for a 140 mile drive in the 84 Targa to VIR for the SRVA Vintage races.
    A 82 year old has to do something on a Saturday!
    Dick

Leave a comment:

replied
    One brave kid. Thank you for your service JR.
    ~Vance

Name:	yst817.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	91633

Leave a comment:

• JR
    replied
    Thanks Vance,
    I was just a 'kid' back then.

Name:	JROnUSSCoralSea1969-70wVA-35.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	91426

I didn't get a chance to drive the Roadster yesterday since I was at the NAS Oceana Air Show Watching the Blue Angels on the old 'home turf'!

Name:	DSCN0046.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	91427

Dick

Leave a comment:

replied
    Amazing photos Dick What talent and nerve you had to land and take off from such an "exacting" location. I'm just blown away by these old photos. Thank you for sharing these.
    ~Vance

Name:	yst0346.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	91418

Leave a comment:

Working...
X