No announcement yet.

Is a 356 more fun to drive than a 911?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a 356 more fun to drive than a 911?

Click image for larger version

Name:	int91198.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	7887
    While responding to Mark E. on my build post I remembered an opinion my father shared with me when I was a kid. He had a '66 911 coupe and a 356 coupe with only a 40hp VW motor in it. While the 911 had loads more power and torque he always felt that his 356 was much more fun to drive than his 911. So what do you think is a 356 more fun to drive than a 911? Justin
    Justin Rio

It depends Justin, When I was driving my brothers 66 911 I had the feeling I just had to push the throttle down all the time just to hear the engine. It was compulsive, and enjoying that car meant keeping the revs up. After him having a number of 911's through to 3 litre I always preferred the carb'd 66. No wonder I would like a SWB right now to drive.

But the 'A' is just different, on twisty country roads its a joy to drive and somehow its not the speed that makes it so interesting. It nice to drive even in traffic. Friends who come out in the 'A' with me cannot believe it's well into it's 50's. The ride is so impressive even compared to modern cars. Not so long ago I drove a Ford Anglia it was a 61 the same year as one I owned in the 60's. The drive in that was nothing like I thought it would be. That made a modern car feel wonderful.

Not really answered your question after re-reading my attempt

Roy

Comment

Thanks Roy! It made perfect sense! My dads '66 had that great carbed sound you're talking about. Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	11-8-113.PicsFmTheGarage-RFrtView.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	8540

[attachment:2]11-8-11 4. Pics Fm The Garage-Red & Blk-Front View.JPG[/attachment]

OK Justin here goes-IMHO they are two different animals-like apples and oranges. BOTH are FUN to drive! My 356 will not see the wet weather while the 1984 Targa that I have-I won't curl up and die if it gets wet. With the Roadster's engine upgrade from 1600 Normal to its present 1750cc specs it can now get out of its own way and really feels good at 80 mph on a good road. The new brake system and front end rebuild is also nice!! :>))
        The 911 with almost twice the displacment scampers when one brings up the revs at 3.2cc. I use Hi-Test in the Roadster and Mid Range fuel in the 911. I use the 911 to attend PCA Region Functions and the 356 for shows and just to take out-it is not a daily driver any more like when we first got it in 1964. It was our 2nd car.
        Both rest in my garage under covers. I had to give our son a 1992 Caddie SLS to make room for the 911 when it came to live here.
        jrp

Comment

Thanks for the response Dick! I can see where each car fills a specific need. Nice pair of Porsches by the way! Justin
          Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
          X