Rest In Peace Pat Daily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rest In Peace Pat Daily

Dick (JR) had posted earlier the unexpected passing of Pat Daily last Saturday.
    I lost his original messages but hopefully he'll repost them here.

Anyway, I just wanted to say how sad it was to hear of his untimely passing. I never met Pat in person but you just knew he was a great and genuine guy all around.
    He was always very supportive of this site and I will always be grateful to him for that. My deepest condolences to his family and close friends (Commander Pitman) for their loss.

Rest In Peace Pat you will be missed!

Justin
    Justin Rio

Folks,
    This is indeed crushing news.
    I just received this from Pat's wife Sandie.
    Pat and I had our 356s at Cars and Coffee a week ago Saturday and he looked fine.
    Pat was the one who got me started going to the Richmond Porsche Meet years (20+) ago and introduced me to Lufteknic.
    This is like losing a brother what with our Navy backgrounds and 356s.

It is noteworthy that Pat and Sandie's daughter Shannon, an attorney with a large Richmond firm was named recently as one of the Top 40 Professional People UNDER 40 in Richmond.

Please pass this along to anyone that you know who might have known Pat.

Regards,
    Dick Pitman

Pat's 356

Click image for larger version

Name:	CC12-2-1715.PatDailys63356BCoupe.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	94737

Name:	CC10-21-176.PatDaliys63356B.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	94745

Pat Auto Crossing FAST FREIDA

Name:	6-12-1116.PatDaily1stLap-1stRun.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	94744

Name:	6-12-1119.PatDaily2ndLap-2ndRun.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	255.9 KB
ID:	94739

Name:	6-12-1118.PatDaily1stLap-2ndRun.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	94743

Pat at Lufteknic

Name:	12-16-111.PatDailywDeaneParkers912-5.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	276.9 KB
ID:	94740

Our two 356s together

Name:	6-11-112.PatDailys356Me.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	94741

Name:	6-11-113.LinedUpForTheConcoursJudges.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	321.3 KB
ID:	94742Click image for larger version

Name:	CC10-21-176.PatDaliys63356B.JPG
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	94738

Comment

Robert,owner of Lufteknic, posted this Monday evening.
      https://www.instagram.com/p/BclA_jRDuMS/?taken-by=lufteknic
      You might have to click and drag it.
      Dick

Comment

Sorry to read about Pat's passing. This was also posted on the R forum. You lost a heck of a friend Dick.

Phil

Comment

A few more pictures that have come in and a note from Shannon Pat and Sandie's daughter.
          Dick

Pat and Fast Frieda auto crossing

Name:	PatDailyAutocross.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	94752
          Pat waiting to be judged at the RPM Concours a few years ago

Name:	PatWaitingForTheConcours.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	94753
          Pat at RPM with his joy-FAST FREIDA

Name:	PatDailyRPM2009.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	94754

A note from Shannon
          I wished you could all be here with your 356s on Sunday.

Mr. Pitman,

My Mom forwarded me the lovely you tribute you wrote for my Dad. Wow! I really enjoyed reading it, and the pictures are so wonderful. Thank you so much for doing that. I know how much he treasured your friendship.

I wanted to let you know that we are planning to hold a memorial service for Dad on Sunday (probably at 2:00 p.m. - still waiting for confirmation) at the Virginia War Memorial at 621 S Belvidere St, Richmond, VA 23220. Something about having it at a funeral home just didn't seem right. He loved when they built the War Memorial, and I know he would get a kick out of all the Navy-focused exhibits they have on display. I will let you know the time for sure tomorrow once we have received the confirmation. Once we have that, would you mind sharing the details with his friends in the PCA? His obituary also should be available online tomorrow and in the paper on Thursday.

I also wanted to ask whether you think any of his Porsche friends may attend, and if so, whether they would be willing to drive their Porsches. We were thinking about having some sort of tribute for Dad at the end of the service, whether it be a revving of the engines or a drive across the Mayo Bridge. I'd love your thoughts. I think we are planning to bring Fast Frieda.

Thank you again for everything - Dad was lucky to have a friend like you,

Shannon

Comment

It was always so nice to read his posts, A real nice guy, such a shame. Feel so sorry for his wife and daughter.
            RIP Pat

Roy

Comment

I found another picture in the ones that Engelbert took at Cars and Coffee Richmond on 12/2/17.
              I cropped the upper right hand corner and found Pat talking to me in front of my Roadster-our last conversation together.
              Dick

Name:	1.Pat12-2-17.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	94776

Comment

I never met Pat but had numerous exchanges with him on this forum
                He knew Europe and particularly Germany and Austria
                We had the same admiration for Nice girls and nice 356
                I lost a real friend and feel very sad

Comment

Yep, RIP Pat......thanks, JR.

It's a weak condolence that the cars can conceivably outlast their drivers.

Good cars, good drivers....good lives. The cars we like don't drive themselves so we hope they will pass along to others who will appreciate them.

Why do many of us tout our "best days" as being in the '60s? I suppose we did our time being educated, finding our first jobs and maybe a mate, many of us in the military AND Porsches? Assuming we are here on Justin's site reading, there MUST be a price to pay for all that and the decades since.

The R's first female trustee and our regional PCA Historian, Deb Cooper, sends email notices about the Riesentoter Fossil losses all too frequently. I just found out that a college roommate and another Porsche guy died 4 months ago.

I know I let the cars be the distraction along with family and friends, many friends made through old Porsches.....like here on Justin's site.

Thanks for that!
                  -Bruce

Comment

Fare you well Pat. You will be missed.

Comment

A true loss to the 356 community and my thoughts and prayers are with his family. He will be missed.
                      ~Vance

Comment

The Memorial Service for Capt. Otis Patrick Daily USN Ret MC was held on Sunday December 17, 2017 at the Virginia War Memorial in Richmond, VA. The Hall of Honor Room at the Memorial was filled to standing room only folks by the time the service began.
                        Rememberances were given by Sandie, Pat's wife, his daughter Shannon, myself, his sister, brother and from his aircraft modeling and flying club.
                        A short article has been posted with photos on the Shenandoah Region PCA site.
                        http://shn.pca.org/news.php#PD17article
                        At the conclusion of the service a Honor Guard of three Naval Officers performed a flag unfolding and folding ceremony which was then presented to Sandie.
                        A Marine contingent provided a three gun volley after which TAPS were played by a bugler.
                        Shannon drove FAST FREIDA, Pat's 1963B Heron Grey Coupe to the service and had it parked outside the main entrance next to a sign that Pat always had at RPM and other Porsche events that read. "356 PARKING ONLY".

Name:	12-17-172.Pats356CloseUp.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	95077
                        This is the entrance to the Hall of Honor at the War Memorial where the service was held.

Name:	12-17-174.EntrancetoRoom.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	95078
                        A long table having Pat's Navy Cap and sword plus tow of his RC scale models and other pictures were placed in the front of the room.

Name:	12-17-1717.TableDisplay.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	95079
                        This is part of the Flag Ceremony.

Name:	12-17-1722.FlagCeremony.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	95080
                        The Family

Name:	12-17-1713.Family.JPG
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	95081

Shannon and her husband has taken custody of FAST FREIDA and his Karman and plan to bring it to RPM and maintain it the way Pat did.

Name:	12-17-179A.356Karman.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	95082

We shall miss Pat a great deal, but his memories will be with us for along time.
                        God Bless and Fair Winds Shipmate.

Comment

What a nice memorial service it was and so glad to hear that Pat's daughter and her husband will carry on with ownership of Fast Frieda. God Bless you Pat.
                          Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                          X