Clear All

• Porsche 356A: Horn ring install

Hello

Click image for larger version

Name:	251120060021164892405.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	93546

I recently bought a Porsche 356A steering wheel with horn ring (see also pictures).

Name:	A-Hrn_SteeringHub_Complete.jpg
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	93547
    I also have the metal cup with the rubbers and bolts
    All are OEM so no aftermarket.

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	93548

But I have problems with installing the horn ring onto the steering wheel.

Name:	Horn20Cup4.jpg
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	93549

When I mount the inner metal cup (with 3 bolts) onto the steering wheel; the horn ring gets fixed onto the steering wheel.
    No possibility to push onto the horn ring

Can anyone help me?

I just Googled '356 Porsche horn ring installation" and found a lot of threads on the topic. I think you'll find the answer there. Sorry I don't have first-hand knowledge or experience to help you.

Mike
    Mike
    '63 B coupe

Comment

I had a mail from Bart to advise he has found the problem. In the kit to restore the horn ring there is a rubber ring and a foam ring.When assembled the horn ring had no movement although the metal cup and all the items were correctly installed.

Like Mike, we both looked at all the links on google and it still made no sense. Then Bart decided to reduce the width of the larger rubber ring and it gave him the small clearance to allow the rocking of the horn ring to make the contact to energise the horn.

I expect he will see my reply here, I was really pleased for him as it seemed an almost impossible job to get correct.

Roy

Comment

Hi Roy

Thanks for mentioning

Still it's strange that I had to modify the rubber....but I'm very pleased it all worked out for this horn issue.

I also added 2 small springs on the pins (the pins that prevent rotating the horn ring). this gave the horn ring even a more stable behavior

Name:	20171116_182123.jpg
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	93735

Comment

Congrats on solving the problem!

Mike
          Mike
          '63 B coupe

Comment

Working...