Glasurit Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glasurit Paint

Final prep on bare metal restoration before basecoast. I'm planning on using the glasurit 22 line in bali blue on the coupe. I've developed some confusion as to the quantity of paint required. On my 911 a gallon was more than enough, it was the 55 line (two stage). The 22 line uses a lot of hardner and very little reducer, I'm wondering if in any way that might effect coverage. Has anyone used the 22 line and if so what quantity of base did you end up using. Thanks

A gallon is usually enough to paint all of the body and all the underside surfaces and jambs. The only problem I could see as far as coverage issues would be if your final surface isn't a uniform color, primer spots ETC. This will usually require more base coats or more paint to get uniform coverage before the final clear coat. HTH Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

I have shot a couple coupes with 22 line in the last year. A gallon is enough, I had about 1/2 pint left to make touch up kits with.
      Pushed around since 1966.

Comment

Thanks for the information. Was concerned about coverage since the 22 line has color and clear in one shot. I will get the gallon and go.

Comment

Jim

Block sand the crap out of the primer, inspect it from every angle. The 22 line goes on pretty thick, but flashes out well. Has a decent pot lift. I mixed 1/2 the kit first, waited about 10-15 minutes between coats. I get four good coats of color. Watch the wet looking overlap flow to be sure you don't have any dry spots. Keep it warm 80-90F while it out gasses for a couple days. Then sand one coat off with lite pressure and wet-paper and a sponge. Start with 400, then 600, and 1000. And finish with 3000+. Each pass in a different direction like a cross hatch. Comes out like glass, It will look a foot deep. It will take probably 10-24 man hours to wet sand. Then it will continue to cure for probably a month before you compound and wax it.
          its Irish green.

I forgot we documented these https://forum.abcgt.com/forum/main-f...ct?view=thread

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	25.4 KB ID:	108948

But but look at the shine.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	19.7 KB ID:	108949
          This is green, but the light source is to show the smooth shine.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_62927.jpg Views:	11 Size:	686.6 KB ID:	108953
          Rubt Red Same process gallon of paint.
          Click image for larger versionName:	image.jpegViews:	8Size:	724.9 KBID:	108952
          Last edited by Jbrooks; 06-01-2020, 11:06 PM.
          Pushed around since 1966.

Comment

Wasn't familiar with this 22 line and didn't realize it was a single stage system. The car looks really nice John! I was made aware a few weeks ago that Dupont is no longer manufacturing base mixing colors for their oil based line of paints so once your local paint supplier runs out that's it. As for the other manufactures I'm not sure but the sun is definitely setting on the old systems. Water based is about all you'll be able to buy in the near future so if you like the old stuff get it while you still can...
            Justin Rio

Comment

What a great paint job, love the color. You were able to get four coats with one gallon? I sprayed my 911 with the 55 line last year and a gallon did four coats. I find the 356 is much harder to spray and seems to take more primer than the 911. When I sprayed the 911 with the 55 line I was surprised how thin the color seemed which showed all imperfections (silver met). Not knowing the 22 line and assuming it might also be thin I've been doing as you suggested, sanding, blocking and going over every inch looking for flaws. It is rather obvious that I lack body work talents but will plug on. Do you use anything special for pin holes and the minor flaws. I've been using Icing any other suggestions.

I have a hard time with my pattern for spraying the car, its is uncomfortable stopping at the front and rear when doing the sides. I do the roof first, flow to the front cowling, fender and stop somewhere towards the front then the back and same on the other side then the front and back. Do you have any suggestions for a different flow pattern. It actually seemed like the primer 280-60 was flashed off when I got to the front and back edges, a little grainie. I'm in florida and the weather now is hot 80s,90s and of course humid.

Thanks for the information.

Comment

Working...
              X