Various versions of Meissen Blue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Various versions of Meissen Blue

New post to highlight the various shades of Meissen blue. As Roy mentioned earlier several versions of this color all claiming to be the correct factory shade floating about. He has noticed variances in original cars of this color through the production run.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0755.JPG Views:	1 Size:	122.2 KB ID:	104026
    I have four samples supplied to me by my buddy who was on the hunt for the correct shade of this color. The large on is from Wilhoit's. The post cover is the original from his car and has a nice sample preserved under the tag. The smaller sample was sent to him from Bob king and the last car was from Eiteine Kirkhoff in Europe. Next photos show a direct comparison with the door tag sample.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0756.JPG Views:	1 Size:	105.0 KB ID:	104027
    First was the Wilhoit sample. One thing I have noticed with all the original lighter pastel type colors is a slight yellowish to a light brown hue in them. The Ivory's and greys have these tints to them I have noticed.
    The grey used on my steering column in my coupe has it. The original sample on this tag is no different, it has a slight yellowish tint in it. The sample by contrast does not. It seems like straight powder or baby blue to me by contrast.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0757.JPG Views:	1 Size:	134.3 KB ID:	104028
    The sample provided by Eteine is a touch darker but has a nice yellowish/brown hue to it. It just says "German" to me compared to the first sample.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0758.JPG Views:	1 Size:	119.5 KB ID:	104029
    The King sample is by far the closest. It has some hue of yellow in it but not quite as much as the OG sample. Can't expect perfection of course but this was pretty close. I'll end up taking the door tag to my paint supplier for a scan but I just wanted to highlight the various shades of this blue. Please let me know if you are finding something different out there.
    Justin
    Last edited by JTR70; 01-02-2019, 08:29 PM.
    Justin Rio

Justin, I wonder if the yellowing in the OEM color has something to do with the chemicals in the paint as they age?

JP
    jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• JTR70
      JTR70 commented
      Editing a comment
      Could have a little to do with it John.

Justin,

Recovering from a spell of pneumonia so been away in hospital etc. Just looked on the Meissen track. Its eight years since I looked for the photos of some of the Meissen samples and it really does show the differences. As explained my dash panel is original paint and I tried then to compare by making a photograph. Its very hard to do that with success. The lighting has to perfect and what looks similar on one area does not seem the same on another. If you look at the sample pieces and notice how they are cut you can identify them in the photos. I have others too yet to find but its clear to me Etienne and his sample does look Germanic and has that different value with the touch of green. One of the Willhoit samples does look near on one view top of the glove box but those also look too light powder blue on other views.

I will look for the other samples to see the differences. The meissen blue 703 has a formula I found on line and I reckon it must be used to make a start against a known original area. I see no sign of aging on my dash. This blue is special and its the hint of green I think that makes it that way. As said before paint the complete car and if the paint seems close to the original then it would pass as correct. I could always make a comparision with mine if you sent me a sample swatch.

The photos will follow directly with my next mail.

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
      JTR70 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Roy, Sorry to hear about that but glad you're feeling better and on the road back to health!

Justin, below are some of the Meissen blue samples and photos of my efforts in trying to compare them to my original dash panel.
    Last edited by JTR70; 01-19-2019, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Thanks Roy! They are all a little different aren't they?
      Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
      X