1956 356 coupe original interior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1956 356 coupe original interior

Gday to my old mate Justin and fellow 356 fans.

Sadly it has been a very long time since I have had the chance to spend some time on this site or check in with my mate Mr Rio. The expansion of my business has taken over my life and it seems there is little time left over to do the things that mean the most to me (Customer projects aside).

Justin, you are now much closer to the finish line than I am with any of my projects. It is almost like time stands still in my shed! All of my cars wait patiently for my attention. Good to see you are nearly there mate with yours and I know you enjoy every minute of it. This forum has evolved so much and is clearly one of the major go to spots in the Porsche community. A credit to your hard work and dedication.

This Prodical son is back and he would like to ask the abcgt family a huge favour.

I am looking for some information to help clarify some details relating to an original 1956 356 coupe interior. I think one item at a time may be the best way to move forward.

We have a customers car that is being restored 100% original (excluding colour combination) and some interior details are a little unclear. After extensive research of other comparable cars I feel there are some gaps and possible errors with their restorations so that they prove not to be a reliable source of authenticity.

The first item that I would like to clarify is the relationship between the verticle seams in the upper part of the rear seat and the seams on the rear firewall panel trim directly behind it. also the position of the luggage tie down brackets on the rear fire wall panel trim.

I have seen so many 56 coupes done just a little differently but would like to confirm with an original car or a car that has been trimmed as per original. Unfortunately the car we are doing has been re upholstered at least a couple of times and the original trims are long gone.

I appreciate any feedback or direction and look forward to being able to sleep at night as these little details keep me sleep deprieved

Many thanks

Jason Bobruk
    Real Steel Group

Hey Jason,

Great to hear from you after all this time! Thank you for all the nice words about the site too, it is very much appreciated! We have an amazing group of core guys that keeps it fresh. Glad to hear you're keeping yourself busy. Concerning your '56 T1 questions I might be able to provide a few answers:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	643_2017-02-15.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	84801
    These are the original rear panels from my '56 coupe project # 57976

Name:	644.JPG
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	84802
    I have since sold these to Road Schollars for patterns but I did take detailed notes and photos for my own future purposes. Just tell me what you need. BTW: I still have an original jumpseat for my car still in its factory hyde if you need measurements.

Name:	645.JPG
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	84803

Name:	477_2017-02-15.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	84804
    I also have T1 seats still in factory covering as well.

Name:	carrera576.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	84805
    Also had a factory t1 door panel for details.

Let me know exactly what you need and thanks again!
    Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Hi Jason
      Welcome back.
      I acquired this gear cover the other day.
      Most re worked covers are just covered with carpet but as you can see this is trimmed in vinyl on all edges.

Name:	Unknown.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	84807

I'm not 100% sure it's original but it looks period, maybe more knowledgable people on here can chime in.
      Regards
      Drew

Comment

Thanks for the photos Justin and Drew. It is certainly good to see original items.They confirm what I suspected. also good point on the gear cover. I guess the problem face nowdays when restoring cars we are mostly restoring cars that have been restored before. All of the original are often gone or misinterpreted. Can anyone clarify these images that show vynil (or leather in this image) that is stitched between the carpet in the area between the rear seat back and the rear seat base?

Thanks in advance

Jason

Name:	115211.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	84902

Name:	115212.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	84903