No announcement yet.

Engine/ Transmission removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bruce made me smile when he mentioned the sport muffler ( exhaust ) made it easier to manhandle the removal and installation of the engine.

I have thought exactly the same a number of times when I did that job on mine, those two exhaust stubs are so handy to have. I have always favoured the sports exhaust for looks too and I think it was ordered that way, as although the cut outs for the pipes are on the back end bodywork its always to my knowledge, had chrome overiders without holes.

Roy

Comment

I don't think Porsche ever made the "sport" exhaust system. It was the invention of Brad Ripley and first sold thru NLA, and now Stoddard. Those long exhaust stubs are very handy though...
      Craig Richter

Comment

Hello Guy's

Thanks a lot for the tips and tricks and of course the pictures.

I think I'm going to use the "2-triangle with arms" method....and not the overdimensioned creations

Rear mounted on the 2 points of the hoop
        Front mounted on the tube of the suspension.

Maybe someone has the dimensions of these?
        I've added some colors and letters to the picture:

Comment

"I don't think Porsche ever made the "sport" exhaust system. It was the invention of Brad Ripley and first sold thru NLA, and now Stoddard."

Craig, try the A book. the early single outlet was discontinued and then 616-54-103 came along, noted as "Muffler (with 2 exhaust pipes)" There was a chromed sleeve, too.

Then, the first of the "S pipe" mufflers came along, PN 616-111-010-00, "Muffler (distance of exhaust pipes 280mm)".

Those were the ones we used to weld extensions to and made our OWN "sport mufflers" before I met Brad at NLA in Wilbraham, MA in 1971. I believe it was AFTER his stint at Stoddard and went to PSP at PCNA in Reno and then stayed still with NLA after Porsche moved to Atlanta that Brad came out with what he called "The Super-Sport muffler." Bigger exit pipes and tips, less baffling. I even modified one of those to work on a "Euro" engine. Sounded great!

Those now from Dansk need to have the VW-esque twin pipes gutted to work well. There IS a thing as "too much" back-pressure, right?

"Love those handles" is not the same as "love handles."

I'll get those rotisserie dimensions, but I think they are on this site somewhere else in another thread, not too long ago.

Bruce

Comment

Well, at least i was a little bit right... Porsche didn't make mufs with love handles.
            Craig Richter

Comment

So I got another way off hanging a 356 that is really easy to do and less tubes

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9963.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	83936

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9964.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	83937
              JOP

Comment