Hello from Sunny Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Sunny Florida

I just wanted to take a second to introduce myself. My name is Kristoph-Dietrich Kinzli and I am currently a civil engineering professor at Florida Gulf Coast University. I was made aware of this forum by David Gensler (DG58inNM) and was told to tell Justin hello I have been enthralled with Porsches since I was a little kid and finally obtained one in the fall of 2008 with the help of David. The story of my 69 911T (The Rat) can be found below. I would like to thank David (my Obi Wan Porsche master) for all he has taught me and making my restoration possible.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/660560-saving-rat-restoring-69t.html

My wife and I keep joking that her next car will be a 356 so I figured I would start learning on this forum. I have attached a before and after picture from my 911 restoration.

Click image for larger version

Name:	69t_1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	39145

Name:	K7__7323.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	39146

I had a few minutes to browse around this site today and am truly amazed at the restoration work being done by you guys. It is quite inspiring to see so many 356s being saved.

Comment

Hey Kristoph,
      Thank you for joining us and welcome to our forum! Let me thank David Gensler also for spreading the good word! I just went through your 911 build and 3 things in particular impressed me most: 1)You did not break the car down immediately for restoration. You cleaned and got mechanically sound first and actually drove and enjoyed this car for a spell. Very smart!! 2) Your restoration was done in a timely manner and the car did not languish all apart for 10+ years. 3) Nice to see this was also a father and son project to carry this hobby forward to the next generation! Great stuff and the car really turned out nice!!
      When your ready to take on a 356 your Jedi Master David and few other of us here can help you along with that. Thanks and Welcome once again!! Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

Welcome from a fellow Florida professor (UF), Kristoph!
        Nice work on your 911. Love that color.
        Jack Stenner
        ---------------
        1953 Porsche 356 Coupe 1500N
        1959 VW SO-23 Camper

Comment

Hi Kristoph,
          I'm pleased to see you join us here. This is (my humble opinion) the best Porsche site on the web. Its a relatively small population of the nicest and most interesting bunch of car nuts out there. The restorations are great. The discussions are great (inclusive, , incisive, thoughtful, diverse, and uncensored). The old photos and history are an absolute treasure. And where else can you find a blower-topped V8-powered 4-wd stagecoach next to a Spyder?

The Swiss Miss, or possibly the Damen, awaits Anna when you finally get her the 356 she deserves.

Take care,
          DG

Comment

Hi Justin,

Thank you for the warm welcome. Thanks also for your kind words regarding my 911 restoration. It was actually not a father-son project. The boy in the pictures is our neighbors youngest son Noah and he kind of became my apprentice. My twin sons were born right after I finished the restoration project ( a reason why I had to finish in a timely fashion ) but I am sure they will help me with a car project in the future.

Comment

Hi Jack! What do you teach up at UF? Slate gray is indeed a special color.

Comment

Originally posted by kkinzli" post=17725
                Hi Jack! What do you teach up at UF? Slate gray is indeed a special color.
                Hello Kristoph. I teach in the Art + Technology program in the School of Art and Art History. So, if someone's art practice is involved with computing, electronics, cinema, new media, etc...they come to us
                Jack Stenner
                ---------------
                1953 Porsche 356 Coupe 1500N
                1959 VW SO-23 Camper

Comment

Welcome Kristoph,
                  As you can see, you are not the only owner of a Jetta TDI Sportwagen,
                  my 13th VW, and by far and away, the best. Great fun to drive effortlessly, and more fun having to remember how to re fuel after the long stretch from the last one...
                  Best regards,
                  Joel

Name:	IMG_5246.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	40294

Comment

Good to 'meet' you, Kristoph.

Two of my cars then, '69 S and a '65 Bug, c.1978;Click image for larger version

Name:	HookRd.shop-c.78.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	40525

My VW 'beater' now with my 356A being one of those under a tarp;Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_05871.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	40526

Seems the VW is the 'commuter' and the Porsches are the 'fun' cars. Of course, in art school I used both a '53 with 36hp VW engine and a '57 VW with a 1500 356 engine. The VW engine was the donor while I rebuilt the 356 motor and I was too lazy to swap them back where they 'belonged.'

There is a man coming to my shop shortly, today, from Florida, to pick up his restored 356 SC Cabriolet and my wife and I go to Florida (near Plant City and Key Largo) to be with her sisters in June (sometime). We plan to Auto-train her new VW Eos.

Other commonalities? It was clear in the beginning of my awareness of Porsches (in the '60s) that most were owned and appreciated by engineers, artists, designers, pilots and the like...who were mechanically inclined and understood form and function. Apparently, those who still drive them have come full circle...making me very happy on a personal level.

-Bruce Baker

Comment

Hi Joel,

Wow you have quite the garage! The TDI is indeed a wonderful vehicle. Amazing how much fun to drive it is considering we often see around 50mpg on the highway. Just switched to Bridgestone Ecopia and the mileage has gone up by 4 to 5 mpg so we are around 55mpg on the highway at 75mph. Is your TDI DSG or manual. Ours is the 6 speed. What year are your Targa and 356?

Comment

Hi Kristoph,
                        DSG, so mileage is not as good as your manual, but much better than the big Benz it replaced... 356 is a 63 SR that I've known since
                        84 and owned since 2000. Targa is a 69. Looking forward to seeing more of your 911. My 356 was originally Slate Grey with red interior, one of my favorite P car colors.
                        Best,
                        Joel

Comment

Working...
                        X