Rebuilding a Harry Pellow (Maestro) engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jack

I used the normal Hazet stuff. The OIL rings were in three pieces No2 compression in two, top ring was OK. The failure point is about where I normally put the oil ring gap. I think the bottom oil ring went first chipped off the bottom off the piston groove then got trapped in the pocket. Then the chunk just hammered around in the pocket and took the rest a little at a time.

The cylinder gouge was so high up you could not see it with the scope. First oil change looked good, a little FUZZ on the magnet some brass flecks, but nothing unusual. Not enough fuzz to cause concern to make up the missing ring sections, nothing identifiable. Filter works well. I assume.

The rest of the motor looks OK, we will change the oil and filter, give it good look and put on a new jug. Give it an hour on the bench and re install.
    Pushed around since 1966.

Comment

It took a week to find the time, but it's back in and running. Lenard at Shasta sent the new Piston and cylinder it arrived Tuesday. Got them back in this morning and engine back together. Running perfectly now. I can't say enough good things about Shasta's quick response.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2018-06-08-10.jpeg
Views:	191
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	101334

Name:	image_2018-06-08.jpeg
Views:	215
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	101332

Put it on the partially complete engine run stand and tuned it checked for leaks and put 20 minutes on the engine before reinstalling it back in the car.

Name:	image_2018-06-08-2.jpeg
Views:	198
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	101333
      I did not have a quarter on me but there is a trans bolt washer balanced on the fan shroud with the engine at idle.

Comment

A Rolls Royce 616? Hope jetting and timing is OK...
        Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

That must be smooth! Nice interesting thread!
          Roy

Comment

Originally posted by Jbrooks" post=43203
            It took a week to find the time, but it's back in and running. Lenard at Shasta sent the new Piston and cylinder it arrived Tuesday. Got them back in this morning and engine back together. Running perfectly now. I can't say enough good things about Shasta's quick response.

Put it on the partially complete engine run stand and tuned it checked for leaks and put 20 minutes on the engine before reinstalling it back in the car.

I did not have a quarter on me but there is a trans bolt washer balanced on the fan shroud with the engine at idle.
            Well done! What rpm do you try to idle at? I don't think that I have ever got my engine running that smooth. I must try harder!
            Attached Files

Comment

That photo is at idle probably under 1000 RPM. I did not have a tach on it but it was normal idle. Its just balance everything as close as you can, dynamic balance the crank and flywheel with the clutch, equal combustion chamber volumes, plus the new stand is pretty rigid.

When the engine was sitting on a work table earlier it had a little vibration, but it was on a lazy-Susan on the table I have since built the stand and it is now very solid.

Comment

Working...
              X