Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 Carrera noted on R Forum

Guys,

The fastest way for the fellow with the '57 Carrera without the motor is to look it up in the Carrera book. Or, he could contact me and I'll tell him.

Steve Heinrichs

I just went over to look at it and here's the link if anyone is interested.
    http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40885&sid=65107c42e6e7172d28561def92c1ed80
    Interesting response given by Jacque who believes the car to be worth practically nothing without its 4-cam engine if it in fact turns out to be a real factory Carrera. So if you had to choose are you in a better position owning the car or the engine? Sort of like the chicken or the egg to me.
    ~Vance

Comment

I think I rather have a solid A coupe. The four cam engines are very cool but I rather drive the hell out of a push rod car then be scared to death of 100k hand grenade.
      52 split window
      62 T-6 cab

Comment

If it were a real GS sold by the factory system yes it has potential to be made into a car someone would pay dearly. question would the perceived value of the end result be much different than a car with the same gathered up pieces having an actual GS VIN and similar documentation(a fabricated fraud)?
        j

/

Comment

Jacques,

Could well be a fraud. All we need is the chassis number to determine.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

I had a B GS/GT that was missing it's motor when I bought it in the early '70s for $675. When one of my first business partners and I split, two 356s were involved, the GT and a nice SC Cab. I gave the GT to Tony and kept the SC, as it was easier to assume an escalation of value.

A few years later, the SC Cab was worth twice it's purchase price but Tony flipped the GT (with no 4-cam engine) for $30k. (When I have a 50/50 shot, I always seem to pick the wrong 50.)Hummmm.

Engines of similar design can be assembled and bolted in a 356 without fraud, unless in a state where titles are foolishly based on engine numbers. I was never told what happened to the GT engine, but it went one of three ways, blown up, sold to a more valuable car or stolen.

I got a clean title to the rest of the very solid car (with a light hit on the left rear, more bumper damage than anything)...untouched original aluminum everything, rollbar, etc. I would be amazed if the original engine ever was reunited with the chassis, but whoever paid the big money (at that time) either knew something most of the rest of the 356 world didn't or was an eternal optimist....or had another 4-cam engine, somehow.

I'd rather have the GT's body again so I could say I have a lightweight 356 B GT....(but with a one-cam engine....s-h-h-h-h).
            -Bruce

Comment

Bruce,

My comment to Jacques re fraud just referred to the fact that the chassis
              number on this '57 coupe seems not forthcoming and then the comment was made that it was a Carrera but shipped without the motor. I do not recall that happening but am away from my stuff. So---maybe someone is trying to suggest a 4-cam car that ain't.

As to pricing from the old days, I am reminded of the ad I have that asks $8,000 for 550-08. Wow.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

Hi Guys
                yes the value of car is mostly based on its condition now question given two cars in equal condition one was a 1964 GS cab that the factory replaced the 4-Cam with a pushrod almost subsequent to delivery and went thru a few hands and an was reunited with an appropriate 4-Cam engine prior to an extensive restoration and the other a 1964 GS cab restored to the same degree with a non numbers matching engine what is the difference in value??
                j

Comment

Jacques,

Good question!!

Now----here is some new news---I am thinking of a meeting/party/gathering
                  of all 4-cam cars (purpose or production built) willing to come to the Monterey area in 2018.

Would you join in the celebration of the 64th anniversary of the 4-cam car??

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

July, 2018. 65th Anniversary.

All 4-cam cars. Will be best ever event.

More in a week or so.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

Steve,

I looked at a 550A (it was in very rough shape) in 1974 but I needed a daily driver. The guy had a VW motor in it and 4 non working 4 cam motors came with it...price was $7500.

Comment

Jacques, you are correct on car shipped to Hahn. I'll try to look up buyer.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

Working...
                        X