Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Spyder 550 550A - ABCGT Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spyder 550 550A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, we have the full history on 550-05 (all of it including factory memos etc). It went to South America and we have the full story and photos, etc.

Annie had 550-07 and we have the service dates and much, much more.

There are many things I am not certain about. This is not one of them.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Originally posted by Type550" post=18479
      When you say 'steel stuff' what do you mean? The spyder had a unique chassis which could not be used on the 356 and I doubt any other parts would be suitable except for things like gauges, maybe seats etc. The body was all aluminium, unlike the 356
      Interesting subject matter: Referring to Annie's Reims crashed 550 Spyder - then later rebuilt - then later crashed and burned - I believe it was only some, as in very few, mechanical parts that were removed and later fit on to Blendl's Speedster spare chassis body ie. maybe motor/parts - maybe some brake parts - no gearbox (wrong type-turns wrong direction) - frame? ..nope, no need for a 550 frame on a steel unibody Speedster chassis - the Gauges were different for the Carrera Speedster compared to a Spyder...but maybe these were recovered and used anyway.

Who's got a picture of the Spyder in the second time around burning crash?

Michael Doyle

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	old929.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	41800

Comment

Name:	CARRERA.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	41857

Comment

• Michael,

Well---I have pictures of the 550-07 car with Blendl and his wife and dog just before the hillclimb, but unlike 550-11 which burned at March field where there are amazing photos of the car in flames...no burning photos of 550-07 are known (at least to me).

As to parts----you probably have it correct. Someone needs to ask Rolly.

Also---before the fatal accident, Annie B. had wrecked the car earlier (and the repair included the 043 frame). It may be that the body configuration causes confusion. Moreover, 07 was originally a bucklewagen (with the photos of the "boys" hanging out of it). The car was a little different after the buckle was removed.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Some new/old 550 pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2014-05-08.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	41896

Name:	image_2014-05-08-2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	41897

Name:	image_2014-05-08-3.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	41898

Name:	image_2014-05-08-4.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	41899

Comment

• Originally posted by Type550" post=18462
                Is this what you think the Spyder remains is today Steve...?

Originally posted by Steve Heinrichs" post=18536
                Michael,

Well---I have pictures of the 550-07 car with Blendl and his wife and dog just before the hillclimb, but unlike 550-11 which burned at March field where there are amazing photos of the car in flames...no burning photos of 550-07 are known (at least to me).

As to parts----you probably have it correct. Someone needs to ask Rolly.

Also---before the fatal accident, Annie B. had wrecked the car earlier (and the repair included the 043 frame). It may be that the body configuration causes confusion. Moreover, 07 was originally a bucklewagen (with the photos of the "boys" hanging out of it). The car was a little different after the buckle was removed.

Steve Heinrichs
                Andrew/Steve - This is the spare Speedster chassis that Steve refers to that Blendl partially used to build his car with "some" of the usable mechanical parts of the crashed Annie B. Spyder which became "part of" another later crashed and burned Blendl Spyder.

Blendl then raced this Speedster as far back (that I know) in the 1957 1000km Nurburgring...and later.

At sometime in the Speedster's life it had a T5 B front nose clip installed. Maybe in the 1980's or early 90's Rolly Resos bought the Speedster - I don't think it had the 4-cam motor then, it was running a pushrod. Around ten years ago, or so, Rolly sold the car and it went to Germany.

Michael Doyle
                Attached Files

Comment

• Andrew,

Re the red Speedster---this is 12306 which Blendl bought as a spare from Porsche. He built it up.

As to 550-07 (which does not exist except as to the little '07' plate on the frame placed over the '043' plate----years ago it was under "restoration". I do not know the status as of today.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Steve - I mentioned Blendl racing this Speedster at the 1957 1000km Nurburgring only from Rolly's past verbal documentation and seeing names/results from that same race - Blendl is noted as having driven in this race a Carrera (most times not listed as Speedster or Coupe).

I'm now thinking that it could have been a different Carrera...not this Speedster, that Blendl had at the time in 1957.

And this 12306 "spare chassis Speedster" was it considered a "Carrera chassis" as well - or simply a standard bare chassis? Thanks.

Michael Doyle

Comment

• It was/is a "carrera chassis".

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

Name:	BLUSPDR.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	41909

Comment

• Love the wheels!
                          trevorcgates@gmail.com
                          Engine # P66909... are you out there
                          Fun 356 events in SoCal = http://356club.org/

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Heinrichs" post=18556
                            It was/is a "carrera chassis".

Steve Heinrichs
                            Ok thanks Steve - So by being a spare "Carrera chassis" Blendl must have purchased it with the intent of installing the Spyder's 4-cam motor, as this chassis configuration is set up in the motor compartment properly to accept it, including the oil tank placement in the left rear fender..and with required electrical wiring for switches on the dashboard for the fuel pumps and coils in the rear, etc.

He may have also switched pushrod motors in and out.

Michael Doyle

Comment

• The plot thickens...

I am trying to get my hands on a photo of Blendl's 550-0043/07 spyder after it was repaired and entered in the Freiburg hill climb. From what I understand, it was repaired with one earlier prototype rear clam shells. During his run he went off the track & landed in some bushes that started a fire that partially destroyed the car. After the crash Blendl dismantled the car. The engine was supposedly ok and most probably put it in the car he raced and later sold to Rolly Resos. No other parts would be interchangeable on a 356 except the maybe backing plates and brake drums which would probably be heat damaged.
                              Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

• I have the before photos (somewhere) as noted but not any after the fire. My understanding is a little different---that is, not much aluminum was left.

Also, had not heard how the fire started.

At the time, this car was known as and registered as 550-07. Never, ever, was a car noted as 550-0043.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

Working...
                                X