Trick parts 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trick parts 2

Just been made aware of another part in the works which should be done very soon, new late style engine cases

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	88305

wow so should i scrap the 50 or so i just cast?
    j

Comment

Hi Jacques,

If I remember correctly you were only going to sell complete engines. As such, I would imagine there is room on the market for this new case for those people just needing a case instead of a complete engine.

Talk soon,

J.

Comment

Hi Joris
        you are correct i said that but i see the market for individuals replacing their own case is not the market that i want to be in. only experienced builders have the parts and expertise to accomplish the exchange efficiently. it's like at a restaurant you don't bring your ingredients and ask the chef to cook it. now you have how many replacement cases already?
        j

Comment

The "trick" with parts, cars or any commodity is to have one less than the buying market needs.

The other "trick" is to make parts look just like the originals they are to replace, i.e. "counterfeit" NOS. Especially at the high end.

It is hard to believe that demand will go up as supply of crucial parts increases in light of the loss of so many individuals who knew what to do with those engines....as time marches on.

Then again, if I still had my B GS/GT sans engine and could afford to build an exact clone from 'new' parts (that even included the engine number ) .....I'd be all over that! My $675 'investment' in that otherwise complete example would have looked absolutely brilliant!

Jus' sayin'........

-BB

Comment

Bruce, these cases are said to have a very high level of authenticity (correct texture, part number, logo etc.)

The currently available late style cases are made using 3D printed sand cores which gives them a distinct look which is very different from the originals.

Comment

Joris
              i think that the real need is to have firms that can deliver engines that operate at their potential not make excessive noise and can be maintained/serviced if used.
              j

Comment

Jacques,

I agree, the way to accomplish this is to have good supply of high quality spare parts so that old worn out parts do not have to be re-used. It is hard to make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Luckily parts supply is improving. The biggest issue is that pricing needs to come down a bit so that it becomes a no brainer for example to use a new gear set instead of trying to refurbish the old worn out non matching one. Having a steady supply of new quality parts will also speed up the rebuilding process and make it less frustrating. Hopefully this will help bring cars retired to static display back on the street or track.

J.

Comment

Hi Kid
                  it is a thankless job.
                  j

Comment

Jacques,
                    Dr. Porsche thanks you, Dr. Fuhrmann thanks you, even those like me who can no longer afford a 4 cam thank you. Certainly, a certain Mr. Swatta thanks you and tells anyone who will listen how much you have helped him.

Regards,
                    Bruce

Comment

Thanks Bruce
                      i do what i do for my own reasons. i disagree with Joris that pricing has to come down: this is a result of competition and demand. what is needed is a commitment from the end user to realize that what they want is a good running reliable engine not what makes sense for the "value" of the car. I liked the old days when these 4-Cams were owned by knowledgeable enthusiasts or racers not collectors/flippers.

Comment

Jacques and I often disagree, thats what great about this hobby. I think that one of the reasons that old worn out parts are being used is that reasonably priced parts are hard to find. Why do people bother rebuilding old roller cranks? because the 40K a new one from Capricorn is more than they are willing to spend. If a 10-15K new crank would be around it would be a no brainer for many people. The same goes for other parts. I am not saying cheap, just reasonable.

Comment

Hi Joris
                          From my point of view Capricorn is entitled to the 40k i have heard that someone paid 30k for a Wellington rebuilt one go figure. Ok in the old days you might have paid 1K for a new crank when your car was only 6-8k new. Capricorn could care less about us i talked to Kulman and told him that if his crank was better and had a greater service life and could be supported by specialty shops and there was a trade discount he might sell a few and then could recap his investment. i think the initial run was 5 cranks and only one remains but they have 5 coming. If you don't want to convert to a plain bearing crank and have to have a roller then in the fantasy world you want to live in a throw away roller could be made for under 5K and would outlast the engine this is based on the SPG senario.
                          j

Comment

Some new "trick" parts now available. 692 exhaust system.

Name:	IMG_20170806_150505.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	90523

Name:	IMG_20170806_150513.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	90524

Comment

Showing my ignorance from limited exposure and fading memory, but were the outlet tips on a 692 angle cut on originals? I'm just curious.

I have also heard all the way here on the right coast of a guy on the left coast who is able to fabricate, rather inexpensively, about any exhaust IF he is given a decent sample to work from. I am forgetting his name right now but have it with an address at my shop. 4-cam exhausts in particular.

Addressing the issue of difficult and therefore expensive replacement parts for ANY of the older Porsches, let's remember the somewhat inexpensive ZF steering box rebuild kits offered years ago by a certain used/new parts outlet in CA.........that lasted a very long time if not put in service, months if actually used. Let's consider the variable QC with even the current Dansk products.

That's part of this dilemma. "Don't bother making inferior parts, give us counterfeit NOS." Price GOOD parts, whatever they may be, for slightly less that NOS, and call it "fair."

Bruce

Comment

Working...
                              X