Castrol bean oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Castrol bean oil

I`ve got a case of 40wt Castrol R bean oil leftover from my roller-bearing daze.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1940.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	88124
    .......anyone use this stuff these days?

I've heard it form several guys that there was nothing like the smell of caster bean oil, can you gives us an idea what it smelled like when used?
    ~Vance

Comment

Well, mixing nitromethane exhaust with peanut butter might get close.
      Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

Hi i have all the bits to build a roller bearing beetle engine. Have always been afraid to do so due to doomsayers saying it wont last. But what if anything needs to be done to keep it running. It will not be used daily at all. 82mm stroker 88mm empi sleeves with aluminium fins and 2 40 dcn webers.

Comment

When I released race cars from the grid, I always tried to get nearest the bean-oil-burning cars, usually 4-cam 356s, and inhale 'true racing.'

(Then again, "all the kids in the neighborhood" would run after the mosquito-sprayer truck, in that fog.....and I wonder where they are ~60 years on...)

Today, I understand an apothecary can still provide plain old castor oil. Introduced into gasoline, the same scent (sorta) comes out the exhaust.

The original use of castor (bean) oil showed that it gave great lubrication but that it didn't last and needed to be changed constantly. The added cost and trouble of changing it became as much a factor in it's disuse as did the improved "dinosaur" based oil.

I wonder if it has a "shelf life"?

Bruce

Comment

Working...
          X