718/2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 718/2

I have just concluded a long discussion on a Dutch Facebook page about motor racing history in the Netherlands. It was about the Porsche 718/2 of Ecurie Maarsbergen, or Carel Godin de Beaufort.
    In virtually all sources (including "Carrera") we see that he got killed in practice for the German GP 1964, using his regular car 718/2-01. Apart from that, he also had a "spare" car, 718/2-02. At first the question was, what happened to these cars, where are they now. Then someone described the car that had been in the Donington museum as the car that was crashed. However, that one is usually referred to as 718/2-02. So we started to look at old pictures, comparing details etc. and we came to the conclusion that it must have been 718/2-02 that was used that day.
    I will not yet give away all the details that led to that conclusion, but first, I would like to ask if anyone here has more information that can support (or invalidate) our conclusion. And is there also anyone who knows why CGdB used his spare car that day?

Definitely a question for Steve Heinrichs...
    ~Vance

Comment

Yes, we really miss him.

Comment

Working...
      X