356 PUSH ROD WOOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 356 PUSH ROD WOOD

I'm getting ready again to start assembly of my 58 356 N engine. life kinda got in the way and now I'm weighting to get in for back surgery. anyway I'm wondering about the push rods, should I remove the wood? if so how or who can do this.
    THANKS Jay D.

Jay
    I would remove the wood, as the ends turn into tooth picks and plug the oil holes. I guess those are there to hasten the flow of oil to the rocker arms. I did not replace mine with anything else, but I think some have inserted a more robust, lightweight filler.

Not too hard to pull apart. I made a simple puller years ago(1989). Will see if I can find it. If so, can send it to you.

Hope the pros will chime in.

Phil

Comment

THANKS, so the ends come off fairly easy? I've been working on ideas for a puller.
      Jay D.

Comment

Found the tool, and right site, as I posted a response on the R forum and someone pointed out the error of my ways. Anyway, just a couple pieces of pipe and connector and 2 slotted washers. Put washers under ends and unscrew pipe till one end comes off. This is a later rod a little larger dia. so does not fit the slot:

Click image for larger version

Name:	pushrodtool.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	81216

Phil

Comment

ah, that's pretty simple i'm going to be on it tomorrow.
          thanks very much Jay D.

Comment

Working...
          X