Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Advice on 356 B T6 S90 Project Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Advice on 356 B T6 S90 Project Please!

Hey Everyone, so the reason I'm posting is because I'm looking for some input on a project I want to start. I recently got a 160K km 1962 356 B T6 S90 as a graduation present from my dad. He's the second owner and has had the car since 1981, so he knows it very well. We've done a few things but we also own a 56 Speedster and recently bought a 70 911E that have taken all of our attention lately. Its the S90's turn.

We've done the suspension and brakes and replaced the matching numbers engine (we do have it though) with an industrial engine with 86 mm bore, AA cylinders and forged JE Pistons. Its also got new Webers and manifolds. My dad says its never been as fast, reliable and torquey.

I'm looking into some advice as in where to start fixing the car, little by little. I want it to be a drivable and reliable car I can use frequently. I also want to try and do most of the work myself, even though for complicated stuff I've got help from a great mechanic that led the overhauling of our 911 and Speedster in the last 5 years. I'll try and give you a good idea on the car's current state.

Even though the transmission works well, its got a squeaky sound in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear. Sometimes, there's a high-pitch sound that starts when I engage the clutch. Usually happens when its warm. However, even though gears are not entirely smooth, the gearbox has been working well for many years. What's the most common issue with this type of transmissions, is it common for them to start sounding? The sound is like a high pitched sound an electric motor would make, i'll try and record it for future references. Should I start to look for a new tranny, or is it easier to re-build the whole thing?

Also, as brakes get a little warm, they also start with a squeaky sound at low speeds, but the car brakes pretty well. Since we restored the brakes, when we take long drives down-hill (40-50 km journeys down hill) they don't warm up and fail as they used to once. Braking power is good and there are no loud or significant sounds.

Engine works wonderfully, although sometimes I think it might be nice to install electronic ignition, the point sets wear out and I have to set them up correctly frequently. We put an MSD uniton our 70 911E and the car runs amazing, although I'm not sure how it'll do on a 356. Its already got a 12V conversion as well as a tachometer conversion done in Palo-Alto Speedometers.

It really needs paint, new deco trim and new carpeting. Also, it could use some body work done in some areas, specially the doors.

Now, I want the car to be sort of an outlaw. I'd love to have this removable kit for vintage track days and rallies.

Its matching numbers engine will be rebuilt in case we need to sell again, but it will probably won't be installed in the car for a while.

Its got Koni Shocks and new transmission mounts for less than 5000 km.

I would love to build a car that could be temporarily taken to the track and then converted back into a street car. These are the upgrades I was thinking about:

1. Racing Fuel Cell
    2. 5 1/2 inch wheels and Dunlop tires.
    3. Performance sway/torsion bars & suspension (what's a good kind?)
    4. Acrylic/lightweight windows
    5. Performance steering components.
    6. Short Shift Kits
    7. Performance Exhaust
    8. Replacement Grilled Engine Lid
    9. Replacement Hood with hole for fuel cell
    10. Bucket seats (replicas can be made from my speedster seats)
    11. Roll Bar/Cage (real simple though)

Here's a photo:

I hope I can hear as much as I can from you guys. Thanks for taking the time to read it through and hopefully I can get as much input as possible. Suggestions in Porsche literature and directions to other forums or content will be greatly appreciated.

I currently own Secrets of The Inner Circle, The Maestro's Workshop Manual and Dr. B Johnson's 356 - A restorer's guide to authenticity. I also own the original Porsche huge parts catalog (cloth cover, around 4-5 inches thick) and many old parts catalogs from Stoddard. Again, THANK YOU for reading and hopefully we can start a real interesting discussion to begin this project!
    Attached Files
Working...
X