Looking for C bumper trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for C bumper trim

Who offers the closest to the original C bumper trim? I would like to install the new trim on my car rather than cleaning up the old trim. Yea I'm lazy.

Thanks!
    Ashley Page

Ashley,
    If your aluminum trim is straight and original, getting new inserts and sanding and polishing the trim is a good option. If not I have been quite satisfied with my Stoddard/NLA repops. Required a bit of shaping to the bumper's contours but child's play for a guy with your metal skills. Assuming you're doing a street car and not a trailer queen.
    Cheers,
    Joel

Comment

I have the originals and could do that. I was looking for the easy way out!

From what I can tell and have heard the Stoddard rocker moldings are very good reproductions.

I have never heard any judgment on the bumper moldings.

My car is a driver and a very very mild outlaw. I think I will order the ones from Stoddard.

Thanks!
      Ashley Page

Comment

Sanding and polishing imperfections from a B/C deco is not as easy as doing that process on an A and earlier deco. The alloy of the later versions is different and the finish is a bright-dip anodize. That can be redone at the west coasts' King of Trim, but only if you demand originality.

Yes, the repro are like hand grenades and horseshoes...close enough to use IF you go through the trouble of making the ends more like 'original.' There is a kink toward each end that won't be self-contouring and the very end is usually a poor copy of the rounded end of the originals. There is not a good continuation of the groove for the seal-to-paint, so a Dremel and small carbide bit may help. The kink can be massaged out to get the correct contact at the rounded end and wind up looking decent, if not completely 'correct.' The anodize may craze and many other challenges, but still less involvement than a redo of the real deal.

The better decos for the rockers are very good, from Porsche and last I bought any, still a bit under $100.(each)

-Bruce

Comment

Working...
        X