X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing floor 356A

Maybe a stupid question

I want to replace the floor on the 356A
    Can I just cut out the old floor together with the center tunnel?

side rockers are still 80% ok......so should give enough support

OR

Do I need to weld some pipes for the internal structure of the body

I just did a C but I did just the front section and left the tunnel in place. If the longitudinals are intact you should be OK. Mine were good so we left a inch or so of the original floor and butt/plug welded the new material in.

If you are doing both the front and back half the process should be similar. I would do in half's, one side at a time, or front then aft. Keep the car weigh supported by the suspension, take a couple accurate point measurements to the garage floor, at the A and B pillars and check it for sag as you remove the floor. Clean ALL the undercoat off in the areas you age going to cut. Then remove the spot welds on the center tunnel first. Then cut loose the old floor section. Its not too hard to do buy scary when you make the first cut. I also recommend a two flute spot weld cutter, not the little hole saw type.

I documented most of the process on a C Coupe here. They are very similar. Get some 3M self leveling seam sealer, with the gun and self etching weld through primer to do the edges before you you start.

http://www.abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Restoration-Projects/39074-65C-Garage-Find-front-floor-replacement.html
    Pushed around since 1966.

Comment

use some cutting fluid it will make the bits cut better and last longer. I use Rapid Tap
      Jay D.

Comment

Working...
      X