HOW TO: Replace complete door window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOW TO: Replace complete door window

Does anyone here ever replaced a complete door window glas from a Porsche 356A?

Door window is already removed out of the door (its a Porsche 356A coupe)
    Biggest concern is how to remove the metal guiding at the bottom of the window and how to mount it to the new window?

All info on this topic is welcome

Grts
    Bart

Soak it with some 3M adhesive remover and pull it out. Replace with new glass and rubber seal. I also use a small line of 3M black rubber trim seal at the
    bottom of the new seal.
    Cheers,
    Joel

Comment

Hi Joel

I've tried it already with WD40 but without succes
      Will give it a try with the 3M .....hope its available here in Europe

Comment

Bart

Acetone, or lacquer thinner will work also. You just soften the glue. Stand up the glass and put it around the rubber seal on both sides, let it soak for a while then hold the glass and remove the metal bottom. Its glued in with a rubber U seal on the glass side. Some times a heat gun or hair dryer will soften the rubber also.

Its not too hard but it been there for a few years.
        Pushed around since 1966.

Comment

Originally posted by Jbrooks" post=43013
          Its glued in with a rubber U seal on the glass side.
          I haven't seen one with glue from the factory yet.
          Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

I'm with Jack. Maybe glue this time around but not OEM.

Removing glass is usually a 4 handed job. On a soft surface (cardboard or blanket) on a flat surface, 2 hands hold the glass horizontal (with gloves) and the other two use a very thin scraper and a dead-blow hammer to get the aged rubber bond to separate from the glass pane. You can add a solvent or dish soap to help things get loose and not stick unevenly.

Eventually, the lower metal channel will begin to move and let go. Do not pry, do not hit the glass. If the glass is to be saved, I use masking tape to protect it. Often, the lower channel is very rusted and I believe I have seen replacements offered as well as the rubber strip AND new glass!

This is one of the "looks easier than it is" tasks, so have patience and good luck.

Bruce

Comment

A thin wooden wedge made from an old clothespin and a small dead blow hammer work well to initiate the separation after a soak with one of the aforementioned solvents. The wood will give up before the glass. Always done on a moving blanket or large old cotton towels.

Comment

Working...
              X