Cabriolet soft top install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabriolet soft top install

Wondering if ANYONE would have ANY information on installing a new top. i don't have the old material to use as a guide. we disassembled the frame and cleaned and lubed all the moving joints and added new wood and paint . i have a new top kit from Autos International, and have called everyone i can think of about this and found absolutely 0 information, other than its DIFFICULT. we started with the head liner, wrapping the front header but don't know what to do with the ends ( how it folds into the main headliner section) and what the headliner connects to above the door windows ( how it fits to the top frame in that area)
    THANKS, Jay D.

Jay D

I did one about 50 years ago on a T-1. Its not that hard but getting all the folds and stretching correct is a real pain. If I were you..... I would see if there is a local upholstery shop that does tops and bring it to them.

You need a steamer to stretch and shrink the fabric and getting the liner in insulation straight is a pain. I started by fitting at the front and worked aft with the rear bow left loose about 3/8-1/2" for the final fit. After I got that stitched in, I put the top on the car from the back to the front with allot of steam to get the latches to close. Align the hinge and bow pivot on the B pillars and get them square to the windshield latches and the wood bow. Then release the latches and attach the rear bow. then slowly push down on the wood bow until it aligns. It takes allot to stretching and steaming to get it tight and to fit. If it is not straight and plumb the stress transfers into the windshield frame, may crack the glass.

Someone that has done allot of rag tops will know all the subtle pulls and tugs needed to get it straight. After I did that T-1, I have always just sent them out. Good Luck
    Pushed around since 1966.

Comment

THANKS for the reply Jon. there aren't many people with that knowledge in my small town, like probably 0 . i can't really take the car anywhere right now so i'm stuck doing myself. i'm hoping when i start laying the headliner fabric out i will be able to see how it goes. my wife is an excilent seamstress so that my help? i want to get the top fitted then remove it, finish the car and paint then put the top back on i just don't want to be trying to fit the top on a freshly painted car.
      Jay D.

Comment

Jay D It can be done just check the type of threads, needles and stitches per inch. I ran allot of seams by turning the machine by hand. If you get the frame set square. Measure and Mark the center on everything. It can be done, but a steep learning curve. Getting the front wood frame set and centered is critical. If the frame works and fits, the top will go on. A fabric steamer is probably the most critical thing. When doing the final fit it allows the cloth to streach, and water lets the threads slide against each other and form the curves without wrinkles. Rent or buy an "upholstery stapler" also. A pneumatic or electric one. An upolestry one they are kind of special with a narrow nose. You tube has a few how too videos. Here is a VW which is very similar. Search 356 convertable top there are a couple more there. Is there a boat or marine shop around you? They may have a "Travler that do tops". Is the top vinal or Hartz fabric? Vinal will be easier. Get sone paint pens to mark the fabric when it's time to sew. Also a good cloth tape measure either a good metric one or in 1/32" Get coffee and watch. https://youtu.be/u2ugEHo-vRE

Comment

When you staple the liner and top to the wood bow. Look at the fabric weave, set the nose at 30 degrees to the way the thread pattern runs. So the staple picks up the several rows of the weave in each direction. I have seen tops that gave way because all the staples were aligned and cut the fabric threads going in one direction. When gluing, 3M spray contact adhesive works well but get a pieces of card board to use as a mask to reduce the over spray on one side. This allows you to pull and stretch the fabric in small sections with out a wrinkle bonding a section early. . Let the adhesive dry tacky before you press it together. All the thinners in the glue will weaken the waterproofing in the fabric.

Aligning the fabric center to the center of the frame is also critical. I pulled a string from the center to the wood bow to the center of the aft bow. then marked them with paint or sharpy. also made a chalk line on the liner and the inside of the canvas. as I worked it back I checked each bow for alignment. also recheck the alignment before gluing each section. A small error amplifies as you get farther form the error. 2-3mm in the front and be 10-15mm at the window,

also a fist full of small spring clamps or paper clip clamps will help hole the fabric in place as you work aft,
          Last edited by Jbrooks; 11-23-2020, 08:07 PM.

Comment

THANKS AGIAN! and yes on the tools, I'm ordering an air stapler with a long narrow nose and acquiring an upholstery steamer. the frame fits perfect and move up and down nice and smooth. i'm not going to get back on it for a week or so now, my boy is maybe coming down for Thanksgiving ? and we want to try and finish up on some minor body work stuff. he's a wiz at body work, a REAL professional and he likes working on the Porsche. maybe because he gets it when I'm gone. we'll stay in touch!

Comment

Working...
            X