Carpet Installation Details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carpet Installation Details

Hello, I have a 1961 Roadster. I have never seen the car with carpet (of course I have looked at some pictures).

There are a few details I'd sure appreciate some help with so I will dive in.

1) What should be done BEFORE you put any carpet in? Are there things in the center tunnel that aren't accessable once it's in? Perhaps some decision that must be made before you start? My car will never have a radio, so I don't have to cut out speaker holes (I'm not even sure where those go haha) My car is in rust-free condition and the floors are metal coated with some black undercoating/durable type paint. I just want to avoid something where I glue a piece in and someone is like "yeah man, did you fix that bolt thread? Did you pull that wire through there? " - and maybe I didn't but now it is too late to do it easily. hahah.

2) For the center seat rails, is the carpet UNDER the rail with only a screw-sized hole penetrating the carpet, or is there a rectangular hole cut out in the shape of the seat rail? The second way would let the seat rail make metal-to-metal contact which seems more secure to me, but I don't know.

3) A similar question on the heater slides... Does the slide sit on top of the carpet with only minimal holes made for screws? Or is a large rectangular chunk cut out and the carpet goes AROUND the heater slide?

4) Footwell area.... I have seen pictures of cars with screws on the vertical piece near where your feet go. What's the correct setup for a '61 B Roadster?

Pics if you have them are very much appreciated. My goal is a "nice driver" level car - not a concourse winner, so it's OK if it's not absolutely perfect.

Thanks much for anything you can share!

Brian
Working...
X