Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pushrod Internal Numbers

Guys,

Over there on the R Forum, the question of matching numbers has come up again---this time in the pushrod world.

Now, you know since you read here, that 4-cam motors had "int. nrs." that can be used to authenticate original motors and eliminate fakes.

The same in true in the pushrod world and, in my view, as people understand this, originality will become more of an issue.

James Davies has it correct over there. Every pushrod hd this and it is NOT time related; the number is person related.

Steve Heinrichs

Hi I also like to see matching numbers on a totally original old car but when a top end restoration is done with all period correct parts this line gets blurred for me as even numbers matching cars can sometimes hide a multitude of incorrect parts. I believe the practice of assigning a new set of numbers to a engine is a very German thing. VW used to re stamp Factory rebuilt parts (not just engines) with new numbers usually but not always with an R in the number even on engines built around a new casing. when you purchased a casing through the parts department it came un numbered.
    This is not the only example when Messerschmitt built the ME109 and the factory started rebuilding damaged examples they were invariably re numbered and issued as "New". A lot of parts is usually brought up to the last spec if possible because that is the stock on hand. I am sure it happened in the Porsche world as well. This then justified a new number because the engine was clearly not original. I think it is safe to assume that each engine will fail or get worn out eventually and will be replaced so there might be a chinge in numbers.I once read about a car which was so original that it had 1949 oil in the engine.
    It seems that we should save that pile of old tires siphon the air out and start collecting for the day that we can say.... This car is so original it has "1955" air in the tires.
    Armand

Comment

Armand,

The Porsche assignment of numbers as to motors was different.

While I agree as to some of the silliness like 1949 oil and 1955 air----Porsche assigned numbers (not the motor number) for an important reason. The int. nrs. were the core numbers as a motor was built. Some motors never were known by their 9xxxx number.

Steve Heinrichs

ps--one can determine authencity of both 4-cam and pushrod motors by reference to the int. nr.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

Steve,

first, I need to thank you for your Carerra book - well done, it is now one of my prized possessions.

Frankly, while I know the number of my crank case I have zero knowledge of how to determine whether it is 'matching' or what that means - if I got the Cert of Authenticity from Porsche (which I've yet to do) would that tell me? Is there some other way? Is it a range of engine numbers that means it is likely to have been the original in my car? I am looking forward to learning more about this, haven't started to dig into this aspect yet, so happy to learn from anyone.

Jonesy

Comment

Originally posted by Jonesy_356" post=30280
          Steve,

first, I need to thank you for your Carerra book - well done, it is now one of my prized possessions.

Frankly, while I know the number of my crank case I have zero knowledge of how to determine whether it is 'matching' or what that means - if I got the Cert of Authenticity from Porsche (which I've yet to do) would that tell me? Is there some other way? Is it a range of engine numbers that means it is likely to have been the original in my car? I am looking forward to learning more about this, haven't started to dig into this aspect yet, so happy to learn from anyone.

Jonesy
          The CoA is certainly one way but, I believe, only records the P. For example, the third piece could be different.

This web site will have you know if it's in the correct range

http://www.356a.com/engine_identification.php

Comment

Working...
          X