589/2 Engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 589/2 Engine?

After trying for ages to get the contact details of the previous owner via Mr Campbell so today I searched the database on the registry and it gave me his contact details. I have got to admit I was more than a bit surprised given what is going on.

However, is also says the original engine was Engine Number: 5013300. Which according to the database is a 589/2 1300S engine? According to another source (don't know if this is true) Porsche only built 62 Type 589/2 engines? Where can I get more information about these engines?

Now I know the previous owner had for the car, as a daily commuter, for many years and replaced the engine quite a few times but there was only 1 owner before him. I'm trying to think why when given the choice the 1st owner would of bought a 1300S engine when the 1600 was available?

I've read that Porsche continued to fit them because there was less tax to pay in some countries (Italy). Some people wanted to race in a 1300 class or maybe on that day the sales person gave him a good deal on the Porsche with the smaller engine in it?

It appears that the first owner may of been Sho Yonemura, CA and the previous owner to me Ray Fausel?

This is something I don't understand

http://www.pelicanparts.com/356/technical_specs/356_chassis_specs.htm

and 356a.com

Say that 1956 1300S engines should be 50136-50155

but cars built after 1955 Oct (MY 1956) are 50128 - 50135? However, the CoA says a build date of sometime in 1956 (I need to check the exact date)

Please update us with your findings...I'm excited to hear the facts.

Comment

I haven't been able to contact the previous owner yet but it looks like an error in the registry database as the CoA lists the original engine as

61745/616/1

which is in the correct range for the vin.

I guessing that maybe 50133 was the previous engine that was in the car.

Comment

Working...
      X