fuel gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel gauge

I'm going convert to a 12 volt system on my 58 and wonder about the fuel gauge. will it work on 12 volts? what do other people do when they change to 12 volts? I know with American autos it will usually peg the gauge on full. I'm buying a new float unit for my tank and don't want to burn out.
    thanks Jay D.

Mr.Darlington:

The gas gauge on a 356 doesn't seem to care what you feed it.

I've been running mine (T1 A) on 12v without modification for some thirty years now, and it hasn't minded a bit.

Granted, the needle gives a fast read on what the float is doing, but it's not "jittery" or otherwise manic in its behavior.

Of course, the simple winding/brush sender has had no complaint whatsoever.
    ----------
    Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo

Comment

The fuel gage sending unit is just a variable resistor, changing to 12v is a non issue.

May I question why you wish to change it 12V? A well maintained 6v system is perfectly fine. It's a simple process to bring it up to snuff if yours is not. Your lights will be bright enough that oncoming traffic will flash you to dim your lights. Charging batteries on cell phones and GPS works fine, depending on how the electronics was designed.

Tom
      Registry Number: Who Cares??

Comment

thanks much SJ you've put my mind at ease.

tom, I'm going to 12 volt for the better lights a stereo with maybe a small amp. I do like to cruse down the hiway to the sound of the engine and exhaust, but I also like to put ACDC on and crank it up. we just ordered a full leather interior kit from Autos International. so before we have the kit installed the wife and I decided that we would like heated seats another plug for 12 volts. also the GPS and phones will be simple. I think I'm going to purchase an alternator kit, I have a 12 volt small generator but I don't think it will be up to the task of the heated seats and other electrics.
        thanks Jay D.

Comment

Yup, agreed, with heated seats you will be loading it up quite a bit.

Good luck,
          Tom

Comment

Tom, I always thought heated seats were an unnecessary option. but my last new car we bought had heated seats and I really like them. plus I live on the central Oregon coast and with an open car they will be nice. thanks for your interest.
            Jay D.

Comment

Jay,
              I see your point. Whatever make it more enjoyable for you!
              Something i do for a stereo is use a Big Jambox and Pandora on my phone. No need to wire anything, and plenty of volume in a loud Speedster with the top down.
              Let us know how the conversion goes!

Good luck,
              Tom

Comment

May I add....."as we age..."

I have installed heating pads in 356s for just the cool days or evenings or when it gets colder and the "full heat" of a 356 (without a gas heater) is not enough. In any of my Speedsters, I gave up on heat even when the top was up (a rarity) and dressed as if I was going skiing, so Speedsters don't count. (Sorry, Tom)

Also, in a Speedster, the usual sound system is made by Bursch and best heard in an underpass or tunnel.

Anyway, heated seats are within the capability of a 12v generator and certainly an alternator....that was my point for logging on and now;

Back to work,
                Bruce

Comment

Working...
                X