Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Micahel May, Porsche, and Joris

Commenting on this topic from the Registry Litigation thread:

A great big "Thank you" to Joris for this most excellent article. .I enjoyed this more than anything else I've read in the registry mag since, oh ,I think it was that article about Hirth crankshafts (who wrote that anyway?). I was always fascinated with the photo of the winged 550. But May has always just been a name, and no other author ever seemed to offer any additional info. What a fascinating fellow! I'm glad I know the rest of the story now. The highest praise I can give is that my wife read it too (both parts), and also enjoyed it. She especially liked the story about the suitcase full of lira.

Thanks Joris. Keep up the good work!
    DG

Yes a thank you from me too

Comment

Thanks for the nice words guys, very much appreciated.

I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to spend two days with Michael at his home in Switzerland. One of the most intelligent and colorful people I have had the fortune to meet so far in my life.

The inspiration for this article came from the great series my friend Dick Koenig did on a number of old factory employees 10-15 years back. Dig out your old magazines, they are gems!

Comment

Joris
        I, too, add my thanks for your ongoing efforts to uncover the real history of this great family-run company. I had the great good fortune to be ,at least, peripherally involved in the "inner circle", in the U.S. in the late 50's through 1969, when VW forced itself upon the scene, forever altering it's character. In those days, I had regular and easy contact with Herb Dramm, who answered directly to Ferry Porsche. It was a small, close-knit, group. I personally believe that the collapse of that atmosphere began with the rise to power of Ferdinand Piech, A genius, in the mold of his grandfather, but a VERY difficult man. The details of the Piech era would fill a very interesting book! I suggest that one would research it at some risk.
        Gerry McCarthy

Comment

Joris,
          Please post your article here so the rest of the Porsche world can enjoy your
          talents and expertise. Seems a waste to limit the size of your audience after all your efforts. It's what the others on this forum do, expert and otherwise.
          Cheers,
          Joel

Comment

Thanks Gerry, those were different times. Amazing to see how Porsche has transformed as a company. I guess the only thing which has not changed is office politics

I have heard some fascinating tales about Piech. A book on him is certainly over due.

Comment

Working...
            X