Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controlling Winter Oil Temps

Practical Solutions 101

There is an interesting (to some) thread on the Reg. site regarding the issue of oil temperatures in cold weather operation.

Sadly, for many, it is like asking for a description of a unicorn. Quite a range of opinions, ranging from the poorly considered to the just plain silly ("just drive it!"). Sadly, the couple instances of good advice have been drowned out by chorus of wild guesses.

Gold stars for those who tried to explain the logic and practicality of an apertured mask over the engine fan intake. A Bronx cheer for the "larger pulley" promoters.

First, the wild shots:

Masking the engine lid will choke the carbs before controlling the oil temp effectively. The added richness will foul the plugs and wash the cyl. with gas, which is an unnecessary and potentially harmful way to address the very real issue of the optimal running temp. of motor oil.

Contriving to open the carb heaters (when present)is virtually ineffective.

Changing out the crank pulley is so impractical that it beggars the imagination. Not only would one be changing back and forth once or twice a month during the transitional seasons, the slower generator speeds could not possibly provide enough juice to keep a battery charged in regular use even in the best weather, let alone during the most battery-taxing season of the year.

And the faux-gonzo "ignore it/drive harder" bit is a prima facia case for dismissal out of hand.

The volute mask effectively controls the problem at its source without detrimental effect to the other engine processes.

The mask is easily changed as changing temperatures demand. Securing the mask with rare-earth magnets (buy at any BigBox Store) makes a change a 3min. operation.

Two aperture sizes will keep 10W-30 oil around 180deg. from 30deg. to -5deg. ambient air temps in normal (and non-destructive) around-town and open road operation. A mask also provides very "normal" warm-up times.

Cyl. head temps will follow the normal pattern of response to oil temps, remembering that less cold air will cool as much as more hot air.

For later shrouds without a screen, a round sq.ft. of alum. screening secured by one large (or several smaller, daisy-chained together) Ideal clamp will allow use of an easily-fabricated/modified flexible mask material, without any danger of ingestion. In fact, given the number of times I have picked leaves and pieces of paper off the T1 volute screen, I can't understand why one wouldn't leave one on all the time.

The preceding is the result of extensive testing in many Upper Midwestern winters of actual useage in daily operation.
    ----------
    Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo

SJ,
    For temps in the teens to 20's about how much do you restrict the fan intake, or is it all trial & error?

Comment

Mr.C:

Trial and error is the foundation of research. Mine led to these conclusions/solutions.

The Givens:

Stock T1 volute @ 6.5in.
      Late fan
      Late oil cooler

In my opinion, warm-up times get unacceptable around town at 30deg. On the road, one can maintain good temps down to about 23deg.

Mask 1 has a 4 1/2in. circular opening and is used around town below 30deg. The threshold of use for road work is about 20deg.

Mask 2 has a 3 1/4in. circular opening and is used around town below 10deg. with a lower threshold of about -5deg. The threshold of use for road work is about the same, tho the lower threshold is about -10deg.

I cut the masks out of 4 or 5 mil plastic sheet and secure it with four 1/2in X 1in x5/16in rare earth magnets around the neck of the volute. In applicable season, I carry the masks in the trunk and either leave the mags on the volute or stuck to the bottom of the dash. Install/change out takes about 3 min. It is advised to include the back of the shroud in a regular clean maintenance routine.
      ----------
      Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo

Comment

Thanks SJ, I might give it a try.
        DC

Comment

Working...
        X