Engines with larger CC!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engines with larger CC!

I've noticed that John Willhoit has been making/changing 616 engine to quite large CC. 2.1l is the latest. That is .4l over the big bore kits that have almost become standard. Can somebody explain to me that are the pro / cons of this and how it's done. Now I'm assuming that there isn't much room to bore out the cylinders so the stroke length more be increased? I'm not looking for a new engine just interested to understand the ramifications.

Neil,
    I think he changes the stroke by having an aftermarket crank's rod journals ground off-center, this requires custom rod big-end bearings to be used. For instance if the stock rod journal is 55mm in diameter and he grinds it 2.5mm off-center he will have a 52.5mm rod journal. If he grinds the rod journal 2.5mm off center to the outside he'll get a 5mm increase in stroke without clearance issues in the case but he'll need 2.5mm smaller rod bearings. I'm sure custom rods (shorter by 2.5mm?) are required too.

Comment

.............but still, the real question is 'why?'

It must be the proving of the ability to really push the envelope (in this case, just that...the case) of 'originality.'

My thought is that if 356s began with a VW engine, why not just use the obvious evolutionary case of a VW 2L and make a cheaper and longer lasting 200 HP? After all, doesn't every 356 need 200 HP (and a string of back-up transaxles) to have 'fun'?

-Original Bruce

Comment

If you want more flat 4 power it's vw (as you suggested), 4 cam modern replication (price of a small apartment) or polo.

John's solution is the only one offering a stock look and there appears to be a market for this? It's not me but stock look certainly is a selling point.

Comment

Neil,
          The answer to "why?" is torque, but the "how?" path is covered in $$$. The big CC motors do drive great, without needing to be "revved-up" like traditional hot rod methods, and still look stock from the outside. Today our cars are worth enough that some owners are willing to lavish a lot of time and money on them to get this combination.
          Personally, my hair's getting too thin, and the traffic is getting too thick, to bother...
          Craig Richter

Comment

Working...
          X