ID of engine case---topic on R Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID of engine case---topic on R Forum

The guys commenting on the motor might want to look here from time to time---just for fun---here's the deal:

Assuming the case halves were originally together (that is, maybe I missed it but I don't see the P number noted)----

The internal number (like all internal numbers) are not casting numbers.

The internal number 5907 was for P 32804. That motor was put into coupe 51846 which finished production 10 March 1954.

Steve Heinrichs

Mr.Heinrichs:

I wonder if it would not be more accurate to describe this "internal" number as a "production" number, in that it was initiated at the point of first machining, and that it was then assigned to the production of a specific car.

Just a thought.
    ----------
    Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo

Comment

Well...that would be more accurate for sure. Porsche called it "Int. Nr.". And, it is not internal; it was Porsche's number stamped in when assigned to Hans.

Interestingly, in this particular case (pun intended), the numbers really bounced around a great deal in the months around this one. Later they settled down a bit.

It is a way as to pushrods, also, to detect frauds and to go from just that case half and number to knowing which car and when built.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

Working...
      X