Replacment bodies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve, this part of your latest post is most enjoyable:

"As a part of the Germanic culture---a "part number" was created for what was sold. So, it is not like the part number referred to over there represented inventory. It was the number assigned after the "part" was made."

This is why I encourage everyone to get or at least watch someone's copy of "Made by Hand." It is one of the best films to help in understanding the Teutonic mentality of '40s,'50s>'60s ('postwar')auto design, manufacturing and intended use.

Understanding that helps to understand the car itself. It helps us to understand why there were no two exactly alike and why anomalies crop up with regularity. As a young company in the 356 era and doing whatever they could to make a name for themselves (and a profit), they were often just 'wingin' it.'

(And.....after one or two careful viewings, that movie is a classic sleep aid.)

Thanks, Steve, for all you are doing to document as best as you can the details of the hobby's focus....the genesis of the cars themselves. Misinformation abounds, assumptions are made and it's like the kid's game of "whisper-down-the-lane."

Now, I can only say about 356s that from a production tour at Porsche in the '60s, I learned that I wouldn't want one made before lunch on a Monday or after lunch any other day, especially a Friday. I doubt the build records show that detail, but back then it was easy to see the beers consumed over Mittagessen.

-Bruce

Comment

Working...
    X