Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short Sunroof Drive Cable

This was discussed on John Pierce's build thread but I'm posting this here
    so it won't be lost to others who might face this issue.
    Attached is a photo of my third iteration of this unit in my search for the
    correct components for an off the shelf unit that works as it should. The ID on the connectors is slightly large on the drive and input shafts, but the opposing set screws hold it just fine. Works beautifully but of course, is not 'original'. Pricing can be seen in the photo. Lead time was about 2 months. I use Wurth silicone grease on it. It will wick in from the heat generated by the cable when it operates, and help minimize friction within the cable itself. Longevity to be determined...
    Cheers,
    Joel

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080017oks.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	103604

To get a perfect fit on the metric shafts on the motor and drive, go to your
    local hardware and purchase a 1/4" x 3/8" x 1" bronze bushing. Cut it in half and press the halves into each end of the connectors using a bit of red Loctite.
    Drill larger with a 7 mm drill. For the uninitiated, make sure to use a file or grinder to flatten the cutting edges of the drill bit. A sharp edge cuts deep and binds when cutting bronze. The flat face makes a better cut. Drill through the bushing for the set screws and use a 10 - 32 tap to chase and tap the bushing. A sunroof cable and a spare for less than $ 125..

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080037.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	103629

Comment

Hi,

I just saw this and it looks fantastic. Great job sourcing it out. Did SS White swage the ends onto the cable? Did you have to provide the cable?

Thanks.

John
      jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

Hi John,
        Thanks for your comments. SS White provided this per my selections from their standardized components lists. It was my third attempt at getting the right
        combination of cable and connectors. The two earlier iterations used smaller
        connectors that were drilled to 7 MM after I received them. The cables were thicker and stiffer with a slightly different length. The larger connectors and set screws provide a better attachment but require a sleeve to get to the 7 mm size needed for a proper fit, although they work fine without it. The thinner, less rigid cable made for a much smoother operation. All components save the sleeves I installed, are by White. They require a minimum order of 2 and the turn around was about 2 months.
        Cheers,
        Joel

Comment

Can you supply a parts list so when I need to order mine I know what I need?
          jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

Hi John,

Call Olga, sales rep at SS White and give her the specs listed on the sales order shown above, or give her the sales order # and let her know you want
            the same. The parts are referenced under the ' parts #, description ' portion of the PO

Cheers,
            Joel

Comment

Working...
            X