356 valve seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 356 valve seats

i'm wanting to change my bronze intake seats to steel. but i'm having trouble finding replacement seats, anyone have a supplier? my first thought was Stoddard but they are really proud of there seats. Walt at Competition eng. has them but they need machined on the OD. these might be what I will need? I do have a person locally that can do it. any information about this procedure would be welcome. i've done a few motorcycle seats before by welding the seat shrinking it and pulling it out. the replacement seat was ready to install as purchased. I just froze the seat and heated the head and lightly drove them in.
    thanks Jay D.

Hi Jay
    you might want to find a shop that does a lot of them on alloy air cooled heads like VW type 4. the head usually is machined for the right interference to the seat which has a ground OD. finding the seats is not the primary concern the installation is the important aspect.
    j

Comment

thanks J, I do have a person here locally that's been in the hi performance VW engine building for over 40 years, just need the seats. the heads have had new guides and valves and the seats ground. but now I want to replace the bronze seats,as I read they can be a problem. I also read that if they are good, there good.? so if i'm going to change them now is the time.
      Jay D.

Comment

Hi Jay
        in the old days you could get parts like seats and valve guides thru the manufacturers parts department. large volume machine shops and performance shops either make their own seats or buy from specialty providers. One such provider that talks Porsche is SIVALVES www.sivalves.com they provide a generic steel seat. they catalog by dimensions but can provide specials. the performance industry can supply copper-berilium or equivalent: Manley and others.
        j

Comment

thanks J, i'm on the hunt.
          Jay D.

Comment

Working...
          X