Porsche 356A clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porsche 356A clock

Yes the 59 356A could be equipped with interior clock. ( even the pre-A could as well.

This link shows an A with the clock position on the dash. Scroll down all the photos to see it.

http://fantasyjunction.com/cars/1073-Porsche-356%20A%20Coupe%20with%20Sunroof-1600%20c.c.%204-Cylinder

Roy

Comment

Hi Roy

Long time no see

Thanks for the info
      I notice that the adjusting knob is on the bottom, in stead of the middle.

Most of the ones that are for sale have the adjusting knob in the middle

Comment

Bart,

Nice to see you back on stream. I have done a bit more delving on the VDO clock situation! If you read this new information on the link below its not as clear as it seems on my first link above.

http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32062

I have seen on pre-a's the clock mounted on the glove box door. They show some pic's there. Charlie white advised the clock could be bought for the 356A but it seems no definite position was made by the factory or was it????

The first info I sent seemed perfect to me but the winder question you raised made me think! How easy to get to a bottom winder or is there room even for the middle winder?

I have never owned a 356 with one installed. To me the glove box door should remain just that, its my opinion a clock looks correct on the dash itself. The dash VDO on my first link might have been installed very early after purchase but it looks so factory to me.
        I have to ask the question of others here if anyone knows for certain beyond question if the factory installed the VDO clocks on a 356A or only advised it was an accessory that we know could be fitted?

Roy

Comment

Hi Roy

This is what I found till now:

The clock in your first reply is correct for a 356A T2, these have the adjusting knob at the bottom.

All the other clocks with the adjusting knob in the middle are for the B&C models equipped for 6V and also available for 12V

Learning each days about these cars

If someone here has a nice clock on the shelf, please inform me

Comment

Other thing that I noticed:

Location is also different on several cars

-Some are nice in the middle
            -Some are higher to the dash top
            -Some are very short to the radio

Question is then; was this an option that the client had to built-in themself?

Comment

Bart,

I think you are correct, possibly the design dept at Porsche were aware clocks had been added previously to pre-a cars but were possibly concered on the final placement position on the 356 A dashboard. The reason I say this is because today I sat in my drivers seat and tried to reach where I thought the downward winder would be behind the dash.

Now this surprised me its for me with not large hands so difficult to even get my hand in the position it would be let alone trying to turn it.

It must be possible, but I wonder if the designers thought as you say lets leave it for the customer to decide the position.

Clocks were available but a big decision to cut the hole! Also on 356A T2 cars the instruments do not contact a flat face. They have a formed shape around each hole. So again it makes you think it was not available fitted by the factory. You can see the raised lips around the instruments on my photo below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_2015_1123_annabelle_356insurance_024.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	92400

Roy

Comment

Could the location on the adjusting knob be the difference between a clock with or without a sweep second hand?

Mike
                Mike
                '63 B coupe

Comment

Comment

Working...
                  X