Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 58367 The $75 Junkyard Carrera coupe restoration - ABCGT Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

58367 The $75 Junkyard Carrera coupe restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doesn't sound too crazy Roy,I have heard of several very high quality finishes that were applied outside in the fresh open air.

An interesting glimpse into the world of BBE. Thanks Bruce!

You really are the 356 "playboy" Max! Ya love 'em for a while, then they get the heave-ho! I really Like your current cabriolet. Its really got a sporty vibe to it especially without the bumpers! We'll see how long she holds your interest!

Right SJ, good catch on that "hand-blown windshield". I picture it like looking through a clear running mountain stream... Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

• Originally posted by S.J.Szabo" post=18863
      .....Now, my thing about the piece is that I would love to know what a "hand-blown windshield" looks like.
      First thing that came to mind for me was my first trip to California, San Fran to be precise, in the '60s, when I was 18, courtesy of my father. My never-met uncle Charlie met me at the airport...in his new Porsche. On the way to town he asked what I drove and I said "a Porsche." He smugly asked "what kind?" and I blandly replied "a Speedster." We were then immediately related by more than blood, but the best part was that uncle Charlie then took me to parts of the SF area where the really cool cars were...and I saw more than one VW bus with stained glass side windows. Think 'arty Cheech and Chong.'
      Still, I have no idea what or why a "hand blown windshield" would exist. That would be slightly more silly than a "hand blown rearview mirror." I'm guessing one of the participants in that article about Junior was smoking whatever the hippies in those VW buses were smoking....a case of being 'blown away.'
      Jack, can you think of an appropriate accompaniment? Perhpas "One toke over the line"?

-Bruce

Comment

• Thanks Bruce, your flashbacks are always entertaining.

5/22/14

My problem spreads to the roof. As of this entry I have practically cleaned off all of the prep repaint that was done in '99. A good thing considering what I've realized about that mystery epoxy primer I used.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	carrera1911.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	42665
        As I followed the white paint up the left A-pillar it quickly became apparent that I had forgotten that I sprayed the entire roof in that epoxy and white paint.
        Unlike the left fender I wire wheeled earlier I did not want to lose the body work we had done in the late 80's which meant hand sanding it back down to my bedrock-bodywork. Several hours and a lot of swearing and frustration spent getting to this stage.

Name:	carrera1912.JPG
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	42666
        This side was even more aggravating as I had already spent time smoothing and shaping the areas by the gutter; all of which had to go as the unstable coats were underneath. A while back I told my father that I had gone back to DP40 because of adhesion issues and he shook his head in disbelief when I said it was 500 bucks a gallon now. I'll have to show him this entry and ask him where is the value or savings of using cheap-off brand epoxy?? All of this wasted time, energy, material and utter frustration it has caused has clearly demonstrated that there is no advantage, even if it was free!

Name:	carrera1913.JPG
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	42667
        My only saving grace from a total melt-down this week is that I now have this sides profiled reflection at a level I can live with! I am now down to micro-finishing this area.

Name:	carrera1914.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	42668
        While cleaning the roof I discovered where the factory guys had buzzed through the leading edge of the gutter in two places and just leaded over it. I'll of course have to run a stitch of weld here. I tell you one of these days I am actually going to run out of things to redo or fix on this damn car!!
        Thanks for looking!
        Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

• Originally posted by bbspdstr" post=18866
          Originally posted by S.J.Szabo" post=18863
          .....Now, my thing about the piece is that I would love to know what a "hand-blown windshield" looks like.
          First thing that came to mind for me was my first trip to California, San Fran to be precise, in the '60s, when I was 18, courtesy of my father. My never-met uncle Charlie met me at the airport...in his new Porsche. On the way to town he asked what I drove and I said "a Porsche." He smugly asked "what kind?" and I blandly replied "a Speedster." We were then immediately related by more than blood, but the best part was that uncle Charlie then took me to parts of the SF area where the really cool cars were...and I saw more than one VW bus with stained glass side windows. Think 'arty Cheech and Chong.'
          Still, I have no idea what or why a "hand blown windshield" would exist. That would be slightly more silly than a "hand blown rearview mirror." I'm guessing one of the participants in that article about Junior was smoking whatever the hippies in those VW buses were smoking....a case of being 'blown away.'
          Jack, can you think of an appropriate accompaniment? Perhpas "One toke over the line"?

-Bruce
          Sorry to be so late... computer issues. Bruce, I was thinking "Incense and Peppermint" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOk2T6Uweao and "Warm San Franciscan Night" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2JwiusEyPQ "Going to San Fransisco" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ_WG3d3GL8 I spent a bit of time there in '67, the summer of love and "68 If you guys weren't there, it could be hard to get it. Nearly eveything was free, and most folks just gave... an amazing time.
          Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

• Love and know those songs well. They most certainly defined the era...
            Justin Rio

Comment

• Jack, you almost brought tears to my eyes...from remembering things that can never be repeated. I am also aware of the saying "If you can remember the '60s, you weren't there."

More tales from our past.

In our rented house in senior year, '67-'68, we shared one pair of Koss headphones through which we could hear that new process- STEREO...and we'd take turns lying on the living room floor, high as we could get and still be conscious...and absorb THE Doors.....like, wow, man.

More on topic (a little), I got a part-time gig in '67 helping to erect a stage for the big Philly Blues Festival, organized by Chip Munck(?) who had Filmore East. He had a brand new '67S (911) and asked me to go to my OTHER part-time gig, Penske Racing, and get him wide American Torque-trusts and "intermediate" racing rain tires, 5.00-9.20x15 for the street...oh, and 'break them in for him.'

Oh, gee, really? Really?

The first song I heard on the radio of that blue/gray 911 as I took off was...really, honestly...."Born to be Wild."

'67 also included a group of I.D. classmates going with me to "Expo '67" in Montreal. I had earlier fallen in love with the 904, but my head was then turned by it's successor in the Porsche pavilion, the 906. Translucent amber fiberglass air induction stacks and cooling air housings? More....like, wow, man.....

Because of my job with Penske, I was the only one in our group with short hair in '67. At least that didn't blow around while I was driving around in my...(back on topic) ..... Speedster!

Here's a shot from Nov. '66 in the NY Museum of Modern Art, an exhibition of great cars:

Name:	906in66.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	43293

Comment

• Thanks Bruce, great old photo and story!

6/6/14

Name:	carrera1903.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	43513
                Just sent the emblems off to Victor Miles to be replated in gold. Wont' be cheap but he's about the only guy I'd entrust with these! Only the Large Carrera Fender emblems and the dash medallion are original to this car. The original "Porsche" scripts were far too mangled to keep and the small Carrera emblem for the back has always been missing. Fortunately during my years of parts scavenging I found these originals to complete the set. looking forward to getting these back.

Name:	Achassis1319.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	43514
                Still obsessing over the profile reflection across the forward gap but my father was just in for a visit and helped to relieve a lot of pressure I was putting on myself. He saw the slight irregularities I was talking about but said it was about close enough and I was really just chasing ghosts at this point. His approval on this car is of course very important to me so this confirmation helped alot.

Name:	Achassis1498.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	43515
                Okay, just one more try to get it a little bit better then I'll hang it up...
                Thanks for stopping by! Justin
                Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2788.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	43534

Name:	IMG_2795.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	43535

Justin, I have limits in time=money and talent. You are limited only by that which makes you satisfied....a very enviable position to be in.
                  Now...just get it done already!

BTW, FWIW, I have had good gold plating done on emblems by Craig Bierman in Texas, speedsportchrome.com
                  Victor is great, but like with other specialties, having more than one source can be educational, if nothing else.

What a difference in 'look' over repro!
                  Not cheap, but when the rest of the 356 is done well, that finishing touch is a really obvious 'plus'.

Comment

• You're absolutely correct Bruce, I need to just move on but it really can be a catch 22. I was telling my neighbor just this afternoon about the argument I have with myself: "quit now its close enough" then immediately to: " But how can you quit now its so damn close" I've chased my tail for the last week with this in my head but thanks to some confirmation from my father earlier and your post today I am about there. Beautiful coupe shell BTW! The reflections across those door gaps look very uniform and nice! I'm routing for you to get back into your own 356 while there is still time to enjoy and I was hoping this was your personal A coupe you've talked about before but this is more than likely a customer car I'm sure.
                    Thank you for sharing the name of this other vendor. Agree, options are always best and honestly Victor is the only guy I dealt with but I'd be up for using this other guy based on your recommendation. Yes, in keeping with my late friends recommendation about using original parts where possible I am hoping it will make a difference with this car's final presentation. From your last post It sounds like it definitely will! Thanks again Bruce!
                    Justin
                    Justin Rio

Comment

• Bruce,

That 'A' body looks wonderful to me. Like Justin's work, the eye can just flow over it without stopping. Our Erwin got it dead right. I read recently he died very young around the mid sixties still at Porsche. I often wonder if Butzi asked him to help with the 911 as that 356 shape just captivates even today all these years later. Its the shape that means everything, without it looking so good, the following would be far less I think.

Nice photo's!

Roy

Comment

• 6/25/14

Finally turned the corner on this damn left fender to door transition that has been plaguing me for the last few weeks. I tried to let it go and listen to both my father and Bruce's advice but with each tracer coat I just could not convince myself that it was fine; quite frankly it still sucked! The reflection continued to jumped and meander on either side forward gap. Very subtly and appeared worse viewing it from front to back versus back to front. My father said I was just chasing ghosts at this point but I knew I had to exercise this spirit out before I'd ever have peace with it.

Name:	carrera1927.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	44809
                        My mistake was I had built up both sides of the gap to try and smooth and "ramp" the reflection across the this transition. Because I was hitting a lot of metal both on the leading edge of the door and the fender I thought it was my only option. In doing so I had created a wave or step at the apex of the front fender well and just ahead of the middle of the door. I was at the end of my rope trying to perfect it and the more I did the worse it seemed to get. This is when it finally hit me that I was on the wrong path and needed to change the approach.

Name:	carrera1917.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	44810
                        Because the door always fit so uniform,smooth and even with the fender it never occurred to me to try and pull another shim out. However by this time I was desperate and all out of other options.

Name:	carrera1921.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	44811
                        Not much in the way of adjustment with only three thin shims up here but it was now time to try two shims.

Name:	carrera1922.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	44812
                        Fortunately the lower part of the door's reflection has not been an issue. No shims to take out here. Somehow when I reinstalled this bracket after rust repairs I got it in just the right spot as not to require any. If the lower door did need to come in I was fully prepared to file and surface the hinge as necessary. Thank god I don't have to.

Name:	carrera1923.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	44813
                        This single shim was the key!!!!!!! The attitude of the engaged door was night and day,relatively speaking. Even though I had lots of build up to block down I could tell immediately that this was finally going to give me the result that I was after.

Name:	carrera1933.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	44814
                        As blocking progressed the fender was getting straighter and only about first couple of inches of the door were low and not in contact. The leading edge of the fender went quickly down to metal and required some inward pecking to get it level with the door. As I tapped a section down another would spring up. I was crowding it and more room had to be found to allow these high spots to come down.

Name:	carrera1931.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	44815
                        I found that the lower half of the edge could come up a bit to make way. I got out my slide hammer with a big washer to hook the edge and slow began working the edge out higher to make room.

Name:	carrera1935.JPG
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	44816
                        Messaged down the leading edge about as far as I could take it. I thought about filing it bit but that edge is original and I know there is sleeping rust in that pinch seam so I could not afford to thin this metal out any further. To get that last thousands of an inch from fender to door I had to swatch the leading edge. Its thin but required just the same.

Name:	carrera1936.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	44817
                        Two great things happening;filler getting thinner and car getting straighter. This area was now blocked down about as far as I could take it. I was more than pleased with its wet reflection. Ready for a coat of primer.

Name:	carrera1940.JPG
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	44818
                        First coat of primer. Some slight irregularities of course remained but those will come out with further block sanding.

Name:	carrera1941.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	44819
                        Not going to blow any smoke it is still not perfect but its finally at a level of imperfection that I can at least live with. I'm just happy to be past it! After enough head-banging, eventually my tiny brain figures it out. Thanks for reading all of this repeat-redo BS. Justin
                        Justin Rio

Comment

• I really love hearing about the process and what you're thinking as you restore. It helps to know what to expect when I get to that stage.....at some point. It looks great.
                          jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• Great story with a great outcome. That's the good news. The bad news - I am not looking forward to going through that process.
                            Phil

Comment

• Justin, those are some of the closest gaps I've ever seen, incredible! Your car will look like one piece when done.

Comment

• Love the details Justin. Thanks for writing and posting.
                                Mark Erbesfield
                                57 356A
                                65 911
                                68 912
                                73 911S
                                66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
                                79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

Working...
                                X