This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tools & products for restorations

I didn't know where to stick this so I started a new thread. Post up any specialty stuff you use here to pass along to everyone else. Many times a certain product or tool gets mentioned in one resto thread but then gets "lost" as no one remembers it's there.
    Mic
    1959A coupe

Eastwood internal frame coating. I found this thread on the Samba.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=417184&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

It seems like it gets good reviews & works well. Comes with a long tube to reach way into hidden cavities. Also has a special nozzle that sprays in a radial pattern for better coverage.
    Mic
    1959A coupe

Comment

Great thread topic idea Mic, Thanks for starting it!

Eastwood actually sells a lot useful stuff. That deep reach sealer looks interesting.

Here's my first contribution: The Peddinghaus shrinking "twist head" hammer.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Achassis742.JPG
Views:	737
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	27247
      My newest metal bumping hammer of choice for shrinking/dolly work. I absolutely love this thing! If I ever lost or damaged it I'd be on the hunt for another! My good friend and metal fabricating guru Jason Bobruk from Australia introduced me to this tool several years ago.

Name:	Achassis743.JPG
Views:	712
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	27248
      I remember seeing this hammer offered from Eastwood since the early '90's. The head is spring loaded and encased in volcanized rubber. This unit slightly twists from the force of the blow and gathers the metal. I always thought of it as just a gimmick item but it works beautifully and gives a great positive feel as you work the metal. I would compare it to almost working on a shot-bag. The blows feel dead and the metal absorbs it and complies. Unlike a ball-ping/ dolly blow that is more high-pitched and rebounding and feels like it moves or contours the metal very little.

Name:	Achassis745.JPG
Views:	714
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	27249

Name:	Achassis744.JPG
Views:	726
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	27250

Name:	carrera669.jpg
Views:	717
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	27251
      Here is the maestro himself Jason Bobruk putting on a clinic the day he and his father showed up to help me with this "sows Ear". It was a silk purse again when this session was over. This hammer really shrunk and leveled out all of that old damage beautifully! Being in the hands of a master metal man of course made all the difference but its potential was made perfectly clear. My thanks to Jason once again!
      Justin Rio

Comment

That is a cool looking hammer. Never saw one like it.
        Mic
        1959A coupe

Comment

It is my most cherished finishing hammer...

Here's another great product: "Zip" wheels by Walter

Name:	Achassis748.JPG
Views:	705
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	27299
          These are by far the best cutting discs on the market. My buddy Warren Mesick (who fabricates and builds off-road racecars) introduced me to these about 10 years ago.

Name:	Achassis750.JPG
Views:	700
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	27300
          What makes them great is that they are about half the thickness of a normal standard cutting disc(pictured on the right) and once mounted they literally "sing" right through sheet metal. They also make short work out tubing and heavy plate. They are the best!

Name:	Achassis753.JPG
Views:	674
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	27301
          The other great thing is that they last! These are not cheapie Chinese versions that disintegrate after a few passes. You'll be amazed with how much cutting you can get out of just one disc. The other cool thing is as it wears it gets just a little thinner making cutting that much quicker.
          Justin Rio

Comment

We probably all use tin snips. Here is a great video(18min) on their proper use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAOQfUaRZyw&feature=related

Phil

Comment

Nice video, Phil. Thanks for sharing.
              jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

Sometimes we get lazy or careless when gringding or using a cutoff wheel. After seeing this, I am no longer lazy and careless:

http://imgur.com/zOAyZxU

Phil

Comment

That's quite disturbing!! I'lll be wearing my full face mask at ALL times now.
                  jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

Saw that picture before...ouch!

I always bought the more expensive zip wheels but figured I would try the 10 for $5.00 wheels since I knew I was going to do a lot of cutting that weekend. The first one I used would barely cut through the metal and the next two shattered. Found a couple pieces in my garage door and last week saw a huge piece stuck in my ceiling. I threw the rest away!

Name:	1-10-2014116.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	35599

Comment

Phil, thanks for sharing that tin-snips tutorial! I learned a lot new things and the finer points to the design of these tools!

Yikes! That is a nasty injury! That's how quick it can happen. That's one tough Vato though even with half a grinding disc in his face he still kept his shades on. That site has all sorts of crazy and disturbing shots.

I tried the cheaper discs too Frank. You save no money because they burn up twice as fast.
                      Thanks again, great stuff!
                      Justin
                      Justin Rio

Comment

Bruce Baker recommended 3M Green Corp grinding and cutoff discs to me years ago. A little more expensive, but last longer and less dust. I found a supplier on the internet with very good prices.

Comment

you might try WALTERS ZIP-CUT wheels also. they are on the high price side but last 2-3 times longer than the cheep wheels. very high quality.
                          Jay d

Comment

I really like the 3M Green disks and cut-off wheels. They are a bit expensive, but last a long time. I've gotten mine from Amazon with free shipping.
                            jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

I agree Jay D, I've used Walter Zip wheels for years and they are the best! (for anyone interested see page 1 of this thread)

John I've used the brown and red 3M roloc discs; do the green ones last longer?
                              Justin
                              Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                              X