Dad's old '66

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dad's old '66

Below are some shots of my fathers very first Porsche in its current state and condition as of last week when I checked on it. Its been under this old chicken coop for at least 20 years and the structure is slowly collapsing around it. Its one those deals where the car is in limbo he won't sell it nor will he ever get it up and running again. So here it will sit until I can eventually get to it. There is alot old photos and memories of this car which I'll digitize and begin adding soon.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	dads66003.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	10709
    Original Red/black car. Only repainted once by my father way back in 78. The paint is oxidized but it would still polish right out.

Name:	dads66002.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	10710
    No severe rust issues and never hit hard.

Name:	dads66001.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	10711
    1966 911 not an S but an original six cylinder car. Numbers matching motor and trans. Has the early Nadella half-shafts.

Name:	dads66004.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	10712
    Will post some old photos next. Thanks for stopping by! Justin
    Justin Rio

Here's a couple of old photos I just digitized both are from 1969.

Name:	3562159.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	12588
    This shot taken at Riverside raceway. Thats my mother sitting in the car. Poor thing she was probably bored to death with cars not being her thing.

Name:	3562162.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	12589
    Taken in San Diego in the parking lot of what looks to be a driving range.
    Thanks for looking! Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Dad bought this 911 from a soldier stationed at a nearby Army post. It was a 68 911L soft window Sportomatic. Bahama yellow w/S appearance

Name:	P6230373.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	21441
      group and black leather. I took my driver's license exam in this car on March 20, 1975, my 16th birthday. When the examiner asked if it was standard or automic, I said "yes". I haven't thought about that in years.

Comment

I just keep finding more photos. That's me right after I got my license. 1975

Name:	P6290402.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	21470

Comment

Name:	P6290425.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	21472

Name:	P6290426.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	21473

Comment

This was a 68 912 Dad bought from a guy that showed up at our house and said he heard he bought Porsches. Dad looked it over, asked him what he wanted for it. He told him how much and Dad said "I guess you heard right" and wrote him a check.

Comment

This was a 68 912 Dad bought from a guy that showed up at our house and said he heard he bought Porsches. Dad looked it over, asked him what he wanted for it. He told him how much and Dad said "I guess you heard

Name:	P6290424.JPG
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	21490
              right" and wrote him a check.

Comment

Erik, Thank you! Great old stories and photos. Our backgrounds are quite similar in that we both had alot of 911 exposure growing up but were drawn more toward the 356 anyway. At 16 I too took my drivers test in that old '66 coupe. We also have this '67 911 Soft-window targa as well...

Name:	3562324.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	21493
                These photos dated January 1978. My parents took out a 3K loan and bought this targa from my father's brother David. The car ran just fine but was tired looking However, could still have been used as is...at least for a while.

Name:	3562325.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	21494
                Well, my dad being "Mr. autobody" wasn't going to be seen in a car with tired/splotchy paint. He began almost immediately taking it apart "just to paint it" well, it quickly snowballed as these things do and before we knew it he had it all cut-up and torn down with all sorts of issues that needed addressing like fender wells, new pans etc.

Name:	dads66006.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	21495
                Here is the car as is it sits today. Needless to say it was never "painted". Still a very sore subject with my mother since this was supposed to be "her car". We only took it up the street once to see what it was like then he began his work Thats my dad! Justin
                Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	786_2013-07-01.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	21547
                  This shot was taken in 1968. my Dad's in his early 30's here and probably only had this car for a few months.
                  Justin Rio

Comment

Erik's got me going again on digitizing old photos. Here is a series dated July 1969. A couple of years after aquiring this car something major happened to the motor requiring removal. (I'll have to ask him what the problem was again) At the time my Dad knew nothing about these engines but after getting zapped with expensive repair bills he took it upon himself to buy several manuals, learn and do all the repairs shortly there after.

Name:	old66003.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	21907
                    The car up on blocks at his fathers trailer park where he lived in San Diego at the time. The hired mechanic's VW bus parked off to the left here.

Name:	old66032.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	21911

Name:	old66005.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	21910
                    Almost in and ready to head back to the mechinc's shop for the repairs....

Name:	old66006.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	21908
                    Motor delivered back from repairs and mated togther once more with its trans. You can see the five quarts of Valvoline off to the side there for fire-up time.

Name:	old66004.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	21909
                    Old aircooled motor mechanic hired to do the job...
                    Justin Rio

Comment

A trip to the Sequoia National park late 1970

Name:	old66008.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	21913
                      My Mother sitting in the passenger seat.

Name:	old66010.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	21914
                      tunnel log..

Name:	old66018.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	21915
                      Pregnant with me at the time...

Name:	old66021.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	21916
                      A note she wrote on the back many years ago...
                      Thanks for stopping by! Justin
                      Justin Rio

Comment

Priceless.

Comment

Christmas 1970
                          My mother surprised my dad with a brand new set of 5.5X15 Fuchs she purchased from Vasek Polak.

Name:	old66031.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	21990
                          Taken at thier first apartment they had together. What a nice thoughtful wife she was...

Name:	old66028.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	21991
                          This Christmas still very much stands out in my fathers memory.
                          Justin Rio

Comment

AWESOME! I have 2 questions. 1) Are they still on the car? 2) When are you gonna get it back on the road? Erik

Comment

Thank you Erik! Yes, the same wheels are still on it and can be seen in those recent pics on page 1. My Dad blacked the backgrounds out in the mid 70's. Still have the original Steel wheels and caps for it too. Oh god who knows when anything will happen with this car. My plate so full I can't even think about that. It needs everything! Thanks again! Justin

Name:	old66020.JPG
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	22071
                              Here it is shortly after its new rolling stock was mounted. Probably 1971.
                              Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                              X