Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JTR70
    replied
    Looks good Phil. Simple quick repairs like this one can be a nice diversion away from the slog of the life long 356 projects we've got going.

Leave a comment:

• foamcar
    replied
    Thanks for the info and tips John

Presto(actually about 2 1/2 hrs.) and the dent is out. Had to use quite a few of my body tools to lift and shrink the deepest area. But, it is out and sanded with 180 grit in prep for a skim coat to blend in with original paint.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0926172023.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	91707

I decided not to strip the whole bumper as it has the original paint and the area under the deco will be good to try to get a color match. From what I have found so far, 1969 had a unique metallic silver paint code and my local PPG store has not been able to find a formula. Anyway, I put a skim coat of finishing filler to blend in with the old paint.

Name:	0926172141a.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	91708

Needs to be finish sanded.

Got the original fasteners cleaned up, less the flat washers, which I will replace with spring washers. The original nuts are nyloc. I ran a tap through them and the nyloc is not near as tight, but maybe too loose so will use the spring washers. I think the combination of the nyloc and rust on the exposed threads is what makes removal and install difficult.

Name:	0926172141.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	91709

Got the deco trim straightened out fairly quickly, so hopefully this bumper will be back on the car by weekend to enjoy the fall driving season.

Phil

Leave a comment:

• Jbrooks
    replied
    Phil. Thoes stupid carriage bolts are correct. You can not clean or lube them enough to keep them from turning in the aluminum trim slot. I took a circular spot weld cutter, made a jig to clamp it into the back of the bolt, to hold the head solid.

It's a real pain, they are also hard to put back, since the slot is stripped and ther is no room for adjustment. I made some shims fromTIG rod, to lock the nuts into the deco when pitting it back. Use a soft aluminum rod 8-10mm Long, locate the carrage bolt and softly tap it into the slot a one above and below the carriage bolt to hold it, torque slowly until the seal seats.

Good luck

Leave a comment:

• foamcar
    started a topic Repairing My 69 Bumper

Repairing My 69 Bumper

I should be working on Foam Car, but this dent has been bugging me ever since I got this 912 about 3 years ago. It has been there for years, as POs did not want to ruin the "original" paint patina of the car. But, someone repainted the front fenders and trunk lid so that logic did not make sense.

Bumper was pretty easy to remove once you knew where the bolts were. The dent is almost dead center and will be a chore to dolly out of the 15 ga. metal.

Name:	0925171438.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	91680

Bumper was to unwieldy to work on without clamping it down. Borrowed Foam Car tools and used an old pallet to fixture it.

Name:	0925171554.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	91681

Name:	0925171554a.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	91682

Getting the deco nuts removed was a chore, as the bolts are just carriage bolts and half of them started turning. Not sure if these bolts are original, as 356s all used T nuts as far as I know. SIC does not carry the carriage bolt, but has a superceded T nut.

Phil
Working...
X